Terry Crews and D.L. Hughley
Paula Lobo/ABC/Getty; Cassidy Sparrow/Getty

Crews alleges that a top Hollywood agent groped him at a party in 2016

placeholder
By
January 27, 2019 08:34 PM

Terry Crews is firing back at comedian D.L. Hughley for questioning Crews’ alleged sexual assault.

In August, Hughley, 55, was asked his opinion on Crews’ #MeToo experience. Crews previously alleged that Adam Venit, former head of the motion picture department at William Morris Endeavor and top Hollywood agent, groped him at a party in 2016. Venit has denied the allegation.

“I think it’s hard for me to think that a dude with all those muscles can’t tell an agent to not touch his ass,” Hughley explained during an interview with Vlad TV.

“I don’t understand. I think that now everybody’s so into this notion that, ‘It happened to me to me too.’ Hey, motherf——, God gave you muscles so you could say no and mean it,” Hughley added.

On Sunday, Crews, 50, responded to Hughley’s comments via Twitter.

“You told the world ‘God Gave Me Muscles So I Could Say No,” Crews wrote alongside a clip of Hughley’s interview.

“Are you implying that I ‘wanted’ to be sexually assaulted? I’m listening, sir.”

Hughley, however, did not apologize and instead wrote, “You saw the video!”

Since opening up about the alleged incident, Crews has been an advocate for the #MeToo movement.

In June, Crews gave a powerful testimony before a Senate Judiciary Committee about proposed legislation known as the Sexual Assault Survivors’ Bill of Rights.

“Abusers protect abusers — and this is one thing I had to decide, whether I was going to draw the line on,” he said. “Am I going to be a part of this or am I going to take a stand?”

Crews said that he has faced blowback for speaking out as a male sexual assault survivor and blamed toxic masculinity for not believing victims.

“This is how toxic masculinity permeates culture,” he said. “As I shared my story, I was told over and over that this was not abuse. This was just a joke. This was just horseplay. But I can say one man’s horseplay is another man’s humiliation. And I chose to tell my story and share my experience to stand in solidarity with millions of other survivors around the world. That I know how hard it is to come forward, I know the shame associated with the assault. It happened to me.”

Venit has denied all allegations made by Crews.

Terry Crews
Nathan Congleton/NBC

Crews made an official complaint with police, however, the case was rejected by the Los Angeles District Attorney in March.

A spokesperson for the DA confirmed to PEOPLE they were “referred that matter by the DA’s office, but we declined to file because the matter was beyond the statute of limitations for misdemeanors.”

RELATED: Terry Crews Hits Back at His #MeToo Critics with Powerful Tweet After Claiming Sexual Assault

The LA County District Attorney had previously rejected the actor’s complaint after deciding Venit’s alleged conduct could not be considered a felony, according to court documents obtained by PEOPLE.

The DA reached that decision because Venit “did not make contact with the victim’s skin when he grabbed [Crews’] genitals,” according to the documents.

Terry Crews
Todd Williamson/Getty

In addition to the criminal case, Crews filed a lawsuit against Venit and his agency, Williams Morris Endeavor.

In the lawsuit obtained by USA Today, Crews alleged that “Venit stared at Crews intently, like a rabid dog, sticking his tongue in and out of his mouth provocatively.” The alleged assault happened shortly after.

In the complaint, USA Today reports, Crews was asking for punitive and exemplary damages after he said he suffered pain following the incident.

In September, Crews, Venit and WME settled the lawsuit.

“Terry Crews, Adam Venit and WME have settled the lawsuit Mr. Crews filed last year,” the agency said in a statement, obtained by the Hollywood Reporter.

Following the news, Crews tweeted “ACCOUNTABILITY.”

You May Like

EDIT POST