Brian Williams isn’t returning to the NBC Nightly News anchor desk, but his colleagues are eager to welcome him back.
It was announced earlier this week that Williams would be permanently replaced by Lester Holt, who has been filling in as the program’s anchor following Williams’ suspension. While he will no longer be the Nightly News anchor, Williams will remain at the network, on MSNBC.
RELATED VIDEO: NBC Set to Announce Brian Williams Is Leaving Nightly News
“As soon as he walks through the door at MSNBC, you can bet I’ll be there cheering him on like the rest of us,” NBC Today‘s Tamron Hall tells PEOPLE at Discovery Communications’ 30th anniversary celebration on Wednesday in New York City.
“I can’t wait to see what Brian brings,” Hall says. “I believe it’s a win-win being a part of NBC and MSNBC.”
Hall, 44, hasn’t spoken to Williams, 56, since the network confirmed the announcement, “You want to give someone space at that time,” she says. The Today co-host tells PEOPLE that Williams’ new role is “the best of a difficult situation,” but adds that she’s “so excited for Lester.”
“I think we’re all excited for [Holt],” Hall says.