Sarah Hyland's Modern Family Costars Wore Surgical Masks on Set to Help Her After Kidney Surgery
Sarah Hyland underwent her second transplant after her first donor kidney, which she received in 2012, went into failure
The Modern Family cast is a family indeed.
“They’ve all been so understanding and supportive,” says a source.
Hyland, 28, underwent the second transplant after her first donor kidney, which she received in 2012, went into failure.
She returned to work weeks after the surgery in September 2017, but in the interim, she was written out of episodes so that she could recover comfortably.
- For more on Sarah Hyland, pick up this week’s issue of PEOPLE, on stands Friday
When she got back from surgery, the cast and crew took care that Hyland, who is on immunosuppressant drugs and “very vulnerable” to infection and disease, would be safe.
“They wore surgical masks so she wouldn’t get their germs,” says the source. “It meant a lot.”
Now, “Sarah is great but she still has her hard days,” says the source of Hyland, who also has endometriosis, a painful condition in which uterine tissue grows outside of the uterus.
“She always comes off so strong and bold, and she is. But this is also crippling,” the source says. “It’s definitely made her a stronger person.”
- Family of 5! Florida Georgia Line's Tyler Hubbard and Wife Hayley Welcome Son Atlas Roy
- Royal Date Night! Rebel Wilson and Boyfriend Jacob Busch Meet Prince Albert While in Monaco
- Inside the 'Whimsically Sweet, Dream'-Inspired Nursery for Colton Dixon's Identical Twin Girls
- Alaskan Bush People's Bear Brown Meets His Son for the First Time: 'No Feeling as Awesome'