Things also heat up between Spencer and her British crush Colin
One down, three to go.
“A” successfully landed a Liar in jail, just as he/she threatened Alison (Sasha Pieterse) on Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars. The rest of the girls desperately tried to decipher who Varjak could be, Ezria called it quits and Spencer (Troian Bellisario) flirted up a storm – literally. Read on for what else happened in Rosewood this week.
Plus! We’re trying something new for recaps after being absolutely floored by readers’ sleuthing. Tell us who you think A is in the comments section or by Tweeting @people with the hashtag #PLLTheories, and your theory could be published in the next week’s post!”
• Ali wanted to take the stand and tell the truth, but her lawyer reminded her that she’s not exactly known around town for her honesty – and Cyrus (Jake Weary) wasn’t a credible witness for her alibi. The D.A. offered her a plea deal: If she admitted she killed Mona and identified Hanna (Ashley Benson) as her accomplice, she’d be sentenced to a minimum security prison in Pennsylvania, à la Orange Is the New Black. If she were to go to trial and be found guilty, she would face life locked away. She was ready to accept after a mysterious encounter with A in the laundry room until …
• Under the guise of wanting to franchise The Brew, Ezra (Ian Harding) confronted the lawyer who gave them Mona’s clues and accused him of actually being paid by someone else as an A ploy. He, Emily (Shay Mitchell) and Aria (Lucy Hale) tailed the man to – where else? – a gated house in a heavily wooded area. Snooping around, Emily discovered a discarded pizza box and receipt under the name Varjak – who we know put Cyrus in the hospital and is likely A’s minion. That should teach him to recycle properly.
• Aria and Ezra officially broke up after she admitted their relationship made her miss out on high school, though she has #NoRegrets. The split was a long time coming and ended with a cordial handhold, but something tells us Ezria isn’t over for good. She lied about why Andrew (Brandon W. Jones) was sending her gushy texts and didn’t disclose their kiss. It’s totally a Ross/Rachel “We were on a break!” argument in the making.
• Spencer’s mom arranged a fake appointment with a St. Andrews professor for her to keep her away from Rosewood, and Melissa (Torrey DeVitto), suddenly feeling the sisterly love, convinced her to see it through – even though her last college interviewed ended in blood. Sparks flew between Spencer and Colin (Oliver Kieran-Jones) as they critiqued Shakespeare, played darts and – gasp! – shared a sopping wet kiss as rain pattered the windows of his flat. It was actually kind of cute, but the smooch marked Spencer’s second time cheating on Toby (Keegan Allen) in as many episodes.
• “I didn’t know 18-year-olds had bucket lists. Is that an American thing?” –Colin
“It’s a Hastings thing.” –Spencer
• “It’s probably best if we split up.” –Aria (who has apparently never watched Scooby-Doo)
Questions for Next Week
• How will Hanna and Ali get along in the slammer? Hanna, after all, thinks Ali sold her out.
• Again, we ask: Who is Varjak? Or, shall we say, vArjAk?
• Will Mike come forward with what he knows?
Most Likely to Be A
• Ezra. He claimed to have never come across the name Varjak in his research for his book on Ali’s murder, but he has compared Ali to Holly Golightly, Varjak’s love interest in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and should at least have some insight into the reference given that he used to be a high school English teacher.
• Okay, we don’t actually think she’s A, but isn’t it convenient that Spencer’s mom, Veronica Hastings (Lesley Fera), kept her daughter out of Rosewood and encouraged Ali to take the plea and implicate Hanna? Let’s not forget that just a little while ago, Spencer stood accused of killing Bethany: Could Veronica have ratted out Hanna to protect her? She’s also been spotted chatting with the cops all season.
FAvorite FAn Theories
• From Yoshinator23: “EZRA IS A! in the season 4 finale, ‘How Ali Met Ezra,’ Ali told the Liars that on the night they met, Ezra told Ali that ‘she reminded him of Holly Golightly’ from the book Breakfast at Tiffany’s. On the note Cyrus gave Hanna, he had written Varjak, who also goes by the name we all know as A.”
• From Emily: “A is for Ashley Marin. Getting engaged to a pastor + putting cash into Bibles … ?”
• From Anonymous: “The person who I believe is A, is in fact IAN THOMAS. I can say that one of my theories makes me believe wholeheartedly that he had a twin brother. What makes me believe this is because in the episodes with Ian (except for pilot ep when they had a different actor), he wore his hair two ways. Always TWO ways. Parted to the left, and pushed straight back. There are no coincidences in this show. Either it was trying to depict him with a split personality disorder, or else we were seeing two Ians rather than one.”
• From evi: “I think A is (A)ndrew Campbell. On this last episode, A is putting money $20 bills into Bibles where the verse says REVENGE IS MINE. The president on the $20 dollar bill’s name is ANDREW!”
Pretty Little Liars airs Tuesdays (8 p.m. ET) on ABC Family.