Bill Cosby won’t be telling jokes on Netflix anytime soon.
In light of the groundswell of accusations from women who have accused the 77-year-old comedian of sexual assault, the pay service opted against giving Cosby a platform on Nov. 27.
“At this time we are postponing the launch of the new stand-up comedy special Bill Cosby 77,” Netflix said Tuesday evening in a statement.
Cosby’s publicist has reportedly said the decision was mutual.
The special was billed as a birthday celebration for Cosby, who was expected to share “intimate and wildly entertaining stories from his childhood, first loves, and the endless adventure of parenthood.” The special was shot at the San Francisco Jazz Center and was supposed to show Cosby “at the top of his craft.”
Ever since comedian Hannibal Buress called Cosby a rapist last month during a routine, several former accusers have come forward to talk about how they were allegedly victimized by the once popular TV star in the ’80s.
The blowback ended up costing Cosby an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman this week. Cosby was also set to appear recently on The Queen Latifah Show, but that appearance was canceled.
All eyes are now on NBC and whether it will follow through with plans to develop a family comedy that would feature Cosby in a patriarchal role. The project from Mike O’Malley (Glee) and Mike Sikowitz is in the nascent stages; the network hasn’t even seen a script yet so it would be easy to drop (though the network would reportedly have to pay Cosby a hefty fee if it did).
Cosby, meanwhile, has yet to address the new round of allegations. His lawyer John P. Schmitt said the fact that the allegations are being repeated “does not make them true.”
The comedian was never criminally charged in any case, though he settled a civil suit in 2006 with another woman over an alleged incident two years prior.