Michael J. Fox Says He and Wife of 32 Years Tracy Pollan Laugh Every Day 'for a Good 2 Minutes'
“Every day we have something we laugh about for a good two minutes,” the actor, 59, tells PEOPLE about Pollan in this week's cover story.
“The kind of support she gives me, I feel like a husband, a father and a friend first, and then somewhere way down the line, I’m someone with Parkinson’s," says Fox.
Fox, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1991 and went public with the diagnosis in 1998, met Pollan in the summer of 1985, when she auditioned for Family Ties. Though she departed the show after one season, they reunited for the film Bright Lights, Big City in 1987. He asked her to lunch, they started dating, and they wed a year later.
- For more from Michael J. Fox, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday, or subscribe here
In the three-plus decades that they've been married, Fox has leaned on Pollan and their three children — son Sam, 31, twin daughters Aquinnah and Schuyler, 25, and daughter Esmé, 19 — for support as he navigates his ongoing health battle.
"My kids are adults now,” the Back to the Future star says. “I never held back about my situation before, but now I really can speak plainly.”
Unrelated to Parkinson's disease, Fox underwent a successful surgery in 2018 for a noncancerous tumor on his spine that tested his resolve and caused him to make additional lifestyle changes. Though Fox had to re-learn to walk and now struggles with memorization, he insists that despite the health challenges, "I’m actually having a really good time."
“People don’t believe me, but I love life," says Fox, whose fourth memoir No Time Like the Future is out Nov. 17.
"I love being with my family. I love being with Tracy," he says. "I love that I don’t do a lot of useless stuff that I used to do, because I don’t have the energy or the time."
- Fredrik Eklund Is Leaving the Million Dollar Listing Franchise: 'It's Time for the Next Chapter'
- Bachelor in Paradise's Maurissa Gunn and Riley Christian Split After Historic Engagement
- Queen Latifah on Chris Noth's Firing from The Equalizer amid Claims of Sexual Assault Against Him
- 8-Year-Old Paralyzed in Accident Moves in with Her 'Awesome' Service Dog Best Friend