The Masked Singer: Patti LaBelle Revealed to Be Flower
While the judges and audiences alike didn’t expect to see Kelly Osbourne under the Ladybug costume after she got eliminated from The Masked Singer last week, Wednesday night’s reveal aligned with many of the panelists’ predictions.
Flamingo and Leopard paired off for the first showdown, and Flamingo led the night with a performance that judge Robin Thicke called “by far the best this season.” Then Rottweiler and Flower went up against one another on Wednesday’s episode. The studio audience voted on which two singers from each faceoff they wanted to move on to the next round, and the bottom two — Leopard and Flower — battled it out to stay in the competition.
Host Nick Cannon then helped the Flower take off her mask, and underneath, Grammy winner Patti LaBelle was revealed. “I knew it!” Cannon remarked. “I didn’t want to say anything. We all had the feeling.”
LaBelle shouted out Gladys Knight’s experience on season 1 with inspiring how she approached her time on The Masked Singer.
“It feels awesome. It feels like I did win,” the “On My Own” singer, 75, said of her time on the Fox singing competition. “I loved it, I loved it. I didn’t change my voice, this is it. This what God gave me. When I heard Gladys Knight, I knew it was her and I knew when you first heard me nick knew, you all knew and I knew that you knew.”
Read on for more clues about the remaining The Masked Singer contestants and details on the hints that gave away the Flower’s identity.
Faceoff No. 1: Flamingo vs. Leopard
- Clues: her “chateau” on an island, Eiffel tower, Taj Mahal, “Ay dios mio” and a mariachi band; “I feel like I’m living in a fantasy.”; “I’m realizing this experience is teaching me to love my own voice for the first time in years.”; “I’m finally finding my center.”; “Straight up.”
- Song: “Lady Marmalade” by Patti LaBelle
- Judges’ guesses: Adrienne Bailon, Fantasia Barrino, Jillian Michaels, Bella Thorne
- Additional clue: “When I started this show I was shaking in my feathers, but each performance has helped me build my confidence and now I feel like I can do anything.”
- Clues: a British flag; “When I was a teenager, I set myself free for the first time. Since then I’ve done my best to treat the world as my catwalk.”; “Whether I’m in New York or gay Paris.”; “I never want to forget that moment where I chose to just be me.”
- Song: “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire
- Judges’ guesses: Alec Baldwin, Jamie Foxx, Donald Glover, Billy Porter, RuPaul, Seal
- Additional clue: “I want to tell everybody how perfect and exciting it has been playing the Leopard but how utterly shocked my little ones are going to be when they find out it’s me.”
RELATED VIDEO: Here’s Why Kelly Osbourne Had to Use Fake Southern Accent on ‘The Masked Singer’
Faceoff No. 2: Flower vs. Rottweiler
Clues: For Sale sign; dominos; people playing Patty Cake poolside; perfume bottles; “Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and try something new.”; “I can go on and on like a Rolling Stone.”; “I may have legendary aura surrounding me.”
Song: “Alone” by Heart
Judges’ guesses: Björk, Patti LaBelle, Barbra Streisand
Additional clue: “I performed all around the world but this is the most challenging job I’ve ever had. The Masked Singer is phenomenal.”
- Clues: four awards statues; boxing gloves; September; platinum grills; “I’m terrified of the panel finding out my true identity and judging me because of it.”; “Here I can finally be seen for just my voice and pure talent.”; “Everything is zen.”
- Song: “Grenade” by Bruno Mars
- Judges’ guesses: Billie Joe Armstrong, Darren Criss, Mario Lopez, Gavin Rossdale
- Additional clue: “Your compliments are so amazing, I feel like they’re directed to someone better than me. This whole experience has helped me to believe in myself more than I ever had, so thank you. I’m so grateful.”
Leopard gave their take on Scherzinger’s hit with the Pussycat Dolls’ “Don’t Cha” that caused her to say, “He sang it better than me!” Flower hit back with Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger” and the judges faced a tough decision. “This will be the hardest vote we’ve ever done on Masked Singer,” McCarthy said. Ultimately, they decided to eliminate the Flower.
The Masked Singer airs Wednesdays (8 p.m. ET) on Fox.