The theater announced the finding after it commissioned an investigation by Lewis Silkin, an outside law firm, gathering “personal testimonies” from all of those involved. Spacey, 58, helmed the theater as artistic director from 2004-2015.
The investigation states that Spacey was able to act with relative impunity during his time at the helm of the theater because “a cult of personality” existed around him.
“The Old Vic was in a unique position of having a Hollywood star at the helm around whom existed a cult of personality,” reads the report. “The investigation found that his stardom and status at The Old Vic may have prevented people, and in particular junior staff or young actors, from feeling that they could speak up or raise a hand for help.”
The investigation was launched on Oct. 31 following the initial allegations brought against the actor by Star Trek: Discovery star Anthony Rapp.
It concluded that 20 incidents occurred between 1995 and 2013, with the majority — all but two — falling before 2009. In “all but one case,” the individuals involved did not raise their concerns with anyone else at the theater.
“Despite having the appropriate escalation processes in place, it was claimed that those affected felt unable to raise concerns and that Kevin Spacey operated without sufficient accountability,” adds the report. “This is clearly unacceptable and the Old Vic truly apologises for not creating an environment or culture where people felt able to speak freely.”
Moving forward, the Old Vic will operate under a new system that aims to ensure “a safe and secure working environment for all.” A victim support service will also continue to operate 24 hours a day for the next 12 months to provide counseling for anyone affected by Spacey during his time at the theater.
“On behalf of the Old Vic Board of Trustees, to all those people who felt unable to speak up at the time, the Old Vic truly apologizes,” Nick Clarry, Chairman of the Old Vic, says in the release.
RELATED VIDEO: Kevin Spacey Reportedly Accused of Sexual Misconduct by Eight House of Cards Employees
Matthew Warchus, current Artistic Director of the theater, adds, “I have genuine and deep sympathy for all those who have come forward and said they were hurt in some way by my predecessor’s actions.”
“Everyone is entitled to work in an environment free from harassment and intimidation,” he continues. “The Old Vic is now actively engaged in the process of healing and the process of prevention. These allegations have been a shock and a disturbing surprise to many of us. It is incorrect, unfair and irresponsible to say that everybody knew. But as a result of the investigation, what we have learnt is how better to call out this behavior in future. These findings will help not only the Old Vic but our industry as a whole.”
On Nov. 2, a representative for the actor confirmed he was seeking treatment.
“Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment,” said the representative in a statement. “No other information will be available at this time.”
Last week, PEOPLE confirmed Spacey had checked into a specialist treatment center.