Kathie Lee Gifford Says Regis Philbin Supported Her During Late Husband’s Cheating Scandal
"I always knew Regis had my back. He always protected me on the air," Kathie Lee Gifford tells PEOPLE
Regis Philbin was supportive of his friends through the good times and the bad.
"Everybody talks about the hard times that I went through that were public. And they were hard times. By any definition they were the most painful times of my life, for sure," Gifford, 66, tells PEOPLE in this week's issue.
- For more about Regis Philbin, pick up this week's issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday
"But I always knew Regis had my back. He always protected me on the air. The Bible says, ‘You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.' I knew my own truth. I was never going to let what the world said about me define me," she says. "And he always supported me in all of that."
"We sat right here on my screened porch and we laughed ourselves sick — we always just picked up right where we left off," she said, explaining that she and Philbin had become "dear friends" even after she exited the show.
Added Gifford: "... We had the best time, and after they left, I just thought to myself, 'Lord, is that the last time I'm going to see my friend?' Because he was failing, I could tell."
Now, as friends and family continue to mourn the loss of the beloved TV icon, his legacy will live on forever.
“There has never been anyone like him. And there never will be,” says Gifford.
- Megan Thee Stallion and Jacob Elordi Are Classy, Bougie Underwear Models in New Calvin Klein Ads
- Taylor Swift Reveals the Empowering Story Behind the Folklore Lyric That Makes Her 'Really Proud'
- Summer House's Hannah Berner Engaged to Boyfriend Des Bishop: 'When You Know, You Know'
- Naked and Afraid Contestants Brace Themselves for 'Worst Night Ever' in Sneak Peek at New Season