Kathie Lee Gifford Says Regis Philbin Supported Her During Late Husband's Cheating Scandal
Regis Philbin was supportive of his friends through the good times and the bad.
"Everybody talks about the hard times that I went through that were public. And they were hard times. By any definition they were the most painful times of my life, for sure," Gifford, 66, tells PEOPLE in this week's issue.
- For more about Regis Philbin, pick up this week's issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday
"But I always knew Regis had my back. He always protected me on the air. The Bible says, ‘You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.' I knew my own truth. I was never going to let what the world said about me define me," she says. "And he always supported me in all of that."
"We sat right here on my screened porch and we laughed ourselves sick — we always just picked up right where we left off," she said, explaining that she and Philbin had become "dear friends" even after she exited the show.
Added Gifford: "... We had the best time, and after they left, I just thought to myself, 'Lord, is that the last time I'm going to see my friend?' Because he was failing, I could tell."
Now, as friends and family continue to mourn the loss of the beloved TV icon, his legacy will live on forever.
“There has never been anyone like him. And there never will be,” says Gifford.
- Andrea Bocelli to Perform at Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Italian Wedding
- Riley Keough Celebrates Directorial Debut of War Pony at Cannes Alongside Elvis: 'In Shock'
- Lil' Kim Thinks the Notorious B.I.G. Would Still Be 'Funny, Fun, Handsome' at Age 50: 'He's the King'
- Director George Miller Calls Tilda Swinton a Chameleon: 'I Had No Idea Who She Was in Person'