Security was reportedly present on set as the actor filmed the final scenes of season 6

Advertisement

Jussie Smollett is reportedly back to work.

The actor has returned to the set of Empire in Chicago less than one week after he was targeted in an apparent hate crime attack, according to TMZ.

Reps for Fox and Smollett did not immediately return PEOPLE’s request for comment.

Smollett, 35, filmed the final scenes of season 6 on Monday and participated in a table read the following day, TMZ reports.

According to the outlet, security was present on set.

Smollett made his first public appearance since the attack on Saturday, addressing the terrifying incident while performing at the Troubadour in Los Angeles.

“There are so many words on my heart that I want to say,” the 35-year-old said. “The most important thing that I can say, to keep it simple, thank you so much. I’m okay … I’m not fully healed yet, but I’m going to. I’m going to stand strong with y’all.”

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater's 60th Anniversary Opening Night Gala Benefit
Jussie Smollett
| Credit: Theo Wargo/Getty

“I had to be here tonight,” he added. “I couldn’t let those motherf—ers win. So I will always stand for love, I will never stand for anything other than that. Regardless of what anyone else says, I will only stand for love. I hope that you all stand with me.”

He also clarified reports about the apparent hate crime.

“Just because there has been a lot of stuff that has been said about me that is absolutely not true,” he said. “There are just a couple of points that I wanted to make really quick… I was bruised, but my ribs were not cracked. I went to the doctor immediately — I was not hospitalized. Both my doctors in L.A. and Chicago cleared me to perform but said to take it easy, obviously. And, above all, I fought the f— back.”

FOX's "Empire" - Season Four
Empire cast
| Credit: FOX/Getty

At around 2 a.m. in Chicago on Jan. 29, Smollett transported himself to a doctor after he was the victim of an apparent hate crime.

The Chicago Police Department previously confirmed in a statement that a member of the hit Fox show was involved in a “racially-charged assault and battery.”

“Two unknown offenders approached him and gained his attention by yelling out racial and homophobic slurs towards him,” the statement continued. “The offenders began to batter the victim with their hands about the face and poured an unknown chemical substance on the victim. At some point during the incident, one of the offenders wrapped a rope around the victim’s neck. The offenders fled the scene.”

On Thursday, Smollett’s family released a statement about the attack.

“We want to be clear, this was a racial and homophobic hate crime. Jussie has told the police everything from the very beginning. His story has never changed, and we are hopeful they will find these men and bring them to justice,” they said. “Our family thanks everyone for their prayers and the huge amount of love he has received. We are thankful to our village for your immense support during this trying time. We are so grateful that God saw him through this cowardly attack alive. Jussie is a warrior whose light cannot be dimmed.”