The former Tonight Show host targeted Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton

By Aurelie Corinthios
Updated June 16, 2016 11:05 AM
Advertisement
Image
Credit: Andrew Lipovsky/NBC

Jay Leno has once again proved no politician is safe when it comes to his honorary Tonight Show monologues.

The former host appeared as a guest on the talk show Wednesday evening – but of course Jimmy Fallon let his predecessor tag in for a few monologue jokes, giving Leno the opportunity to zero right in on the presidential election.

“Now, Hillary Clinton says she is the most transparent candidate in modern history,” said Leno, 66. “How many can see right through her?”

Bill [Clinton] has been on campaigning for her, and I don’t think he’s helping,” Leno continued. “Like, last week in San Diego, Bill stopped to kiss a baby, which is usually okay – except the kid was breastfeeding at the time, which made it awkward.”

RELATED VIDEO: Jay Leno Returns with Edgy Tonight Show Monologue

brightcove.createExperiences();

Leno went on to zing Donald Trump – one of his favorite targets.

“I’ve been enjoying Donald Trump’s new reality show, The Amazing Racist,” he quipped. “There’s actually a dating site for Trump supporters called TrumpSingles.com … Because sometimes screwing the entire country just isn’t enough.”

Bernie Sanders is still upset because he says his fundraising dinners didn’t raise as much money as Hillary Clinton’s,” Leno went on. “Well of course they didn’t – nobody wants to eat dinner at 4 o’clock in the afternoon. How much Cream of Wheat can you eat?”

Leno even snuck in a quick poke at the president: “President Obama‘s doing well, approval ratings [are] at 51 percent,” he said, adding: “The other 49 percent are tax payers.”

To wrap things up, Leno launched into a rapid-fire round of “the economy is so bad,” joking that in Utah, polygamists have just one wife, in Hollywood, porn stars are being forced to get jobs as real pizza delivery guys, and that he recently saw four mafia guys eating at the Olive Garden.

“I got one!” Fallon jumps in. “The economy is so bad, Hillary Clinton deleted all of her emails except the ones from Groupon.”

On Wednesday, PEOPLE caught up with Leno, who opened up about his political views – and the presidential election.

“I grew up in the era when [Bill] Clinton was horny, [George] Bush was dumb and Gore was a robot,” he said. “You didn’t question anyone’s motives – you just questioned their judgement.”

Now, he says, things have changed and there’s “all this homophobic stuff and anti-Islam [sentiment].”

“It’s really too ugly,” he added.

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon airs weeknights (11:35 p.m. ET) on NBC.