How Bindi Irwin Honored Dad Crocodile Hunter Star Steve Irwin at Her Wedding
“Where we got married was such a special place to dad,” Bindi Irwin says of the garden at the Australia Zoo
“Where we got married was such a special place to dad,” Bindi, 21, tells PEOPLE of the garden at the Australia Zoo. “It’s a beautiful little area where he had filmed for many years. It felt really wonderful and just meant to be.”
Honoring Steve — who died Sept. 4, 2006 at age 44 after he was attacked by a stingray while working on an underwater film — was especially emotional for the family, including Bindi’s mom, Terri, and her younger brother, Robert.
“We had dad’s picture with his dog Sui blown up on an easel,” says Bindi. “So mom and Robert were standing right next to dad as we exchanged vows. We had a candle-lighting ceremony for him, and it really felt like he was there with us. It was a lovely moment of peace and happiness.”
- For more from Bindi Irwin, pick up this week’s issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday
Bindi and Powell had initially planned a ceremony with 200 guests, but cancelled just days before due to COVID-19. Instead, they married in an intimate ceremony in the garden at the zoo. In attendance were “lots of animals” and just three guests: Terri, Robert, and Bindi’s late father’s best friend, Wes Mannion.
One extra special touch to represent Steve was Bindi’s bouquet, tied with a khaki ribbon.
“Most brides have something blue; I had my khaki,” Bindi says.
Crikey! It’s the Irwins: Bindi’s Wedding special premieres April 18 at 8 p.m. ET on Animal Planet.
- 90 Day Fiancé's Big Ed Opens Up About Being an Inspiration to People with Klippel Feil Syndrome
- Coco Rocha Takes Us Behind the Scenes at Christian Siriano's NYFW Runway Show
- Meet the Black Bull Rider Taking the Sport by Storm — and Starring in a New Snapchat Series
- Brett Eldredge Chases Away the Gloom with His New Single 'Good Day': 'It's a Song for the Moment'