"None of them are good enough," Scott Patterson told PEOPLE
It’s rare that you stay with your high school or college sweetheart, but that’s a hard truth Gilmore Girls fans have had trouble accepting – especially with Monday night’s news that there may be a Netflix reboot in the works.
So instead of asking each cast member who they’d want Rory (Alexis Bledel) to be with now, PEOPLE polled the show’s stars on who was the most fun to watch on screen opposite Stars Hollow’s pride and joy: loyal first boyfriend Dean (Jared Padalecki), soulful rebel Jess (Milo Ventimiglia) or reformed playboy Logan (Matt Czuchry).
“Oh, it really wouldn’t be fair to pick a favorite, I don’t think!” Bledel said, laughing.
“Especially since all of them are here tonight,” Graham added. (In the end, of course, we’re all Team Fiercely Independent Rory.)
And then, there’s Luke Danes being protective as always – especially when it comes to his wayward nephew.
“None of them are good enough. I’m so sorry. None of them are good enough,” Scott Patterson told PEOPLE. “Maybe one day.”
The rest of the cast didn’t mind choosing sides: Here’s the final tally:
Read on for the actors’ explanations of their votes to PEOPLE. And for the record, during the panel Ventimiglia said Dean was the best guy for Rory, Padalecki said Jess was, and everyone agreed Logan was “a d—.”
• Jackson Douglas aka Jackson Belleville: “I’m still a Dean fan. I’m still sticking with Dean.”
• Keiko Agena aka Lane Kim: “Dean was the most challenge for her as a character, because she had to work through a lot, and it was a lot of firsts.”
• Jared Padalecki aka Dean Forester: “Honest to god, I was always Team Jess. I don’t know if it’s because I love Milo so much. And even as young 19-, 20-year-old actor, Milo, who had grown up in Venice, he took me under his wing, took me to different restaurants and kind of made me feel welcome. So I didn’t blame Rory for her Jess relationship he’s a handsome dude. He’s brooding and built and handsome.”
• Milo Ventimiglia aka Jess Mariano: “I’m going to say Jess, but I love Dean. Mostly because I love Jared, but at the same time, in the same breath, I can’t say I don’t love Matty, because I love Matty, but Logan was a d—. I think Rory, she had some wild ones. She had a good range of romantic relationships.”
• Matt Czuchry aka Logan Huntzberger: During the panel he admitted he thought Jess was the best, but on the red carpet earlier he was more measured. “I saw Amy Sherman-Palladino, who created the show, she said something recently that I think is spot on: She had the right boyfriends at the right time in her life, so that’s what I would say,” he told PEOPLE. “Each of those boyfriends, they were the right one at the right time for her.”
• Yanic Truesdale aka Michel Gerard: “There was a lot going on when it was Jess, no? Because he was trouble. Yeah, I vote for trouble.”
• Todd Lowe aka Zack Van Gerbig: “Jess! Fun, yeah, Jess.”
• Liza Weil aka Paris Geller: “I like the Logan stuff a lot, just because it was so showy. That whole Brigade and the umbrella and the whole thing, that was pretty fun. But I think we have not met the proper suitor for Rory yet.”
• Danny Strong aka Doyle McMaster: “I’m a Logan man. Not in a gay way, like in an admirer way. Like I admire Logan. It’s a Yale thing – he’s a Yalie. Also, he was the boyfriend that I was really on the show with.”
• John Cabrera aka Brian Fuller: “Logan! I mean, he had the most fun adventures for her. … C’mon, what about all those freakin’ crazy Yale camping excursions?”
• Kelly Bishop aka Emily Gilmore: “I liked Matt [as Logan]. I loved them all, really, and they were all unique. There was something about Matt with such a young face and youthful look, he was very manly. He reminded me of like a 1930s movie star with this woman, and I thought, ‘Look at that!’ They were all good guys.”