The ABC News anchor will be back on air next week following her second treatment for alcohol abuse
“So many thx to everyone for your support! It means so much. I am back to work next week, so happy to come back!” she Tweeted on Monday.
ABC News confirms to PEOPLE that the mom of two will return as 20/20 co-anchor. Her first report, showing her working with a genealogy expert to help find lost loved ones, is scheduled to air at the beginning of November.
Vargas first entered treatment for alcohol abuse last November, then returned again for a second time while on vacation in August.
“Like so many people, I am dealing with addiction,” she told PEOPLE in 2013. “I realized I was becoming increasingly dependent on alcohol. And feel fortunate to have recognized it for the problem it was becoming.”
“I will deal with this challenge one day at a time,” she added. “If coming forward today gives one other person the courage to seek help, I m grateful.”
The 20/20 co-anchor, who split from husband Marc Cohn last year, is also planning to release a memoir in spring 2016 about her struggles with alcohol.
“When I first began to worry about my own drinking, I turned to books other women had written about their own alcoholism,” Vargas, 51, said in a statement in March.
“I learned I was not alone, and it helped me find the courage to reach out and get help,” she continued. “I have spent my entire life telling other people’s stories. This one is my own, and is incredibly personal: the burden and the loneliness of the secret drinker.”