Brooke Burke-Charvet Is Out as Co-Host of Dancing with the Stars
"I've seen my fair share of shocking eliminations ... but this one takes the cake," she reportedly says
The news that she won’t return to the show comes as a shock to the former contestant, who was by Tom Bergeron’s side as co-host since season 10 of the ballroom dancing competition.
“Weird day … Shocking pre-season elimination #DWTS ME. Tom Bergeron didn’t even read my name,” Burke-Charvet, 42, Tweeted at midnight Saturday. “I won’t be returning to the show this season.”
ABC released a statement to PEOPLE on Saturday: “We can confirm that Brooke Burke-Charvet will not be joining us next season. She’s been a wonderful part of the Dancing with the Stars family since her triumphant win in season seven and will unquestionably be missed by our entire team,” the statement reads. “We’d like to thank Brooke for her years of great service.”
Burke-Charvet wasn’t the only one who was surprised by the news. “It was a shock they let Brooke go,” a source tells PEOPLE. “The cast and crew loved her. It’s very sad.”
On Friday evening, the model and TV host released a statement to E! Online, who was first to report the news.
“I have enjoyed seven seasons co-hosting DWTS but understand the need for change considering the position of the show at this juncture,” Burke-Charvet said.
“I’ve always been one to embrace change and looking forward to pursuing opportunities I previously wasn’t able to entertain because of contractual obligations to the show. I’ve seen my fair share of shocking eliminations in the ballroom but this one takes the cake.”
There is no word on who – if anyone – will replace Burke-Charvet, who won the seventh season of the show with her partner Derek Hough.
This is the second major change to the upcoming 18th season of Dancing with the Stars, which debuts March 17. The show also recently fired bandleader and orchestrator Harold Wheeler, as well as his 28-member band.