Network sources tell PEOPLE that while a firing is unlikely, a different job may be in order for Williams
As Brian Williams‘ NBC suspension nears its end and rumors swirl about his fate, network sources tell PEOPLE that he is not likely to be fired – but that doesn’t mean he’ll reclaim his position at the Nightly News anchor desk.
A source close to the decision-making process says no decision has been made yet – options are being looked at – which could mean Williams might return to a different job altogether when his suspension lifts in August.
The newsman, 56, was the subject of an internal investigation earlier this year after military newspaper Stars and Stripes uncovered that Williams’ retelling of his time spent covering the Iraq War in 2003 was untrue.
However, the flight engineer on the helicopter that was carrying Williams told Stars and Stripes that the aircraft “never came under direct enemy fire” and that they were traveling 30 minutes behind the helicopter that was shot down.
RELATED VIDEO: Brian Williams Also Being Investigated for Claims He Made About Hurricane Katrina
Williams apologized in an on-air statement on Feb. 4: “On this broadcast last week, in an effort to honor and thank a veteran who protected me and so many others following a ground-fire incident in the desert during the Iraq War, I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago,” he said. “It didn’t take long to hear from some brave men and women in the air crews who were also in the desert.”
He stepped down from his position on Feb. 7. “In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news,” he wrote in a statement.
Williams’ six-month suspension was announced by NBC a few days after that.
Since then, Williams has lain low amid the controversy.
The network declined to comment.