Williams has been banned by NBC from making public appearances, says former chairman and CEO Bob Wright

By Amanda Michelle Steiner
Updated February 19, 2015 04:50 PM
Advertisement
Image
Credit: Monica Schipper/Getty

Following his suspension, NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams has been banned by the network from making public appearances, according to NBC’s former chairman and CEO, Bob Wright.

Williams, 55, was scheduled as the keynote speaker at the Palm Beach Civic Association’s annual awards luncheon on Feb. 27.

“Brian Williams will not be our keynote speaker on Feb. 27; he has canceled his appearance,” Mike Brown, spokesman for the Palm Beach Civic Association, tells PEOPLE. “He has been replaced with Brian Mulroney, Canada’s former Prime Minister.”

“I feel terrible about it,” Wright told the Palm Beach Daily News. “But life goes on. We’ll have to get past it.”

While he continues to be investigated for his claims about his time spent reporting on the Iraq War in 2003, Williams has been “considerably restrained.”

“He is just struggling. It’s very tough,” said Wright, a friend of Williams and now the chairman and CEO of the Civic Association. “He is a very people-oriented person. He’d certainly like to get on and explain what he has done and apologize It’s going to take time.”

It was announced on Feb. 6 that an internal investigation had been launched by NBC into Williams’s various reporting.

The anchor also pulled out of a Feb. 12 appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman, where he once told his story about being in a helicopter that was brought down by enemy fire while covering the war in Iraq in 2003. Letterman called him a “war hero.”

“He’s a really good man,” said his daughter, Allison Williams, during an appearance on Wednesday. “He’s an honest man. He’s a truthful man. He has so much integrity. He cares so much about journalism.”

Reporting by LINDA MARX