After The Voice judges sparked new romance rumors with their Halloween celebrations, a Shelton insider told PEOPLE that the duo “are flirty” and “have drawn support from each other” in the wake of their recent breakups. (Shelton and Miranda Lambert divorced in July and Stefani and husband Gavin Rossdale split in August.)
Prior to becoming a couple, Shelton, 39, and Stefani, 46, were vocal about their mutual admiration in recent interviews. Read on to learn more about their connection – in their own words.
Shelton on Stefani
1. In August, PEOPLE asked Shelton to pick a coach he’d like to be for a day. “You know what, I’m gonna say I would pick Adam Levine because he’s married to a super model. Need I say more?” After being asked why he didn’t pick Stefani, Shelton said, “Well, I’m trying to be nice. If I said Gwen, it’s just so I could stand in front of a mirror naked, so I’m gonna pick Adam instead.”
2. Shelton was also asked which coach he’d pick if he auditioned on The Voice. “Oh, Gwen,” he said. “I mean, have you seen her? If I’m gonna be in a rehearsal room with Pharrell, Adam or Gwen, who the hell do you think I’m gonna pick?
3. “I don’t think anybody’s more covered up than Gwen, from just raising three boys and balancing a TV show and a solo record or a No Doubt record and touring and her clothing line,” he told PEOPLE over the summer. “Every day in the compound, you see her having a meeting with people you’ve never seen her having a meeting with before. It’s crazy.”
4. Though the country star wasn’t there in person to support Stefani as she performed her new single, “Used to Love You,” at the American Music Awards on Nov. 22, he still made sure to gush about her on Twitter. Just before she took the stage, Shelton warned his followers to “Prepare for greatness.” When one responded that they thought Stefani’s performance “was the best of the show,” Shelton retweeted the praise, and added some of his own, writing, “Agreed.”
Stefani on Shelton
1. “He’s such a fun, funny guy,” she told PEOPLE in August. “He just seems like such a good person. I love being around him.”
2. When asked to pick a judge she’d want to swap lives with, Stefani replied, “I might pick Blake because he has a weird life … I think he has animals and does country stuff, which would be so different.”
3. “Blake and I like a lot of the same voices,” she said. “We always turn for the same people … I don’t really know country music at all. I know like Emmylou Harris … but I think Blake likes a lot more music outside of country music as well.”
4. After shutting down the rumor mill in October, Stefani told Entertainment Tonight, “It seems like the cowboy is really happy on the show. We’re all having so much fun on that show. Everybody is in such a good place.”
5. Ryan Seacrest broached the chatter on his radio show in November, prompting Stefani to say, “I’m not going to answer that right now, Ryan. I think I’ve given enough of myself this morning to you. But I think he’s hot, don’t you?”
• Reporting by MELODY CHIU