The Surprising Reason Bachelor In Paradise Could Be Canceled
"Every year there have been an increasing number of questions about whether or not [the show has] gone too far," a Bachelor in Paradise production source tells PEOPLE
Amid a potential sexual misconduct scandal, ABC has yet to announce if Bachelor in Paradise will be canceled — but the reason the reality romance competition show might not return could have nothing to do with the television network.
“The show is most likely not going to resume filming,” a production source tells PEOPLE exclusively of the Bachelor spinoff, which suspended production after contestant DeMario Jackson was allegedly filmed in a drunken sexual encounter with a woman who may have been too intoxicated to consent. “It would seem impossible to do so given the circumstances.”
(No charges have been filed, and neither party has spoken out publicly about what happened.)
“But the main reason it will likely not be back is that the majority of the bill for the show is footed by the Mexico Tourism Board,” continues the source. “They pick up the tab for practically everything in exchange for all the free publicity the show gives them — but is not a good look and is not likely to be something Mexico Tourism wants to welcome back.”
RELATED VIDEO: Bachelor in Paradise Suspends Production Over Alleged ‘Misconduct’
But even if the Mexican Tourism Board did want the reality show to resume filming, the source believes ABC and Warner Horizon, the company that produces the show, will have a lot to consider before deciding to continue filming the current season or greenlighting future seasons.
“Every year there have been an increasing number of questions about whether or not [the show has] gone too far. Last year it was Chad basically being kicked out for being so incredibly aggressive,” says the source. But this latest scandal “throws into question if perhaps the show simply needs to be over.”
On Monday, a second source told PEOPLE, “It’s just an internal investigation.”
“There are no authorities involved, no law enforcement but the incident was flagged internally and they take these matter seriously, so they’re looking into it,” said the source. “But Bachelor in Paradise will not be resuming — this summer at least.”
“Warner Horizon produces the show so we have to wait for them to conclude their investigation before any next steps,” ABC Entertainment Group President Channing Dungey told Entertainment Weekly on Sunday.
The Mexican Tourism Board did not immediately return PEOPLE’s request for comment.
In situations of alleged sexual misconduct, PEOPLE declines to name the alleged victim without their consent.