Bachelor in Paradise's DeMario Jackson Allegedly Filmed in Sexual Encounter with Woman Who May Not Have Been Able to Consent: Sources
Officials stopped production of Bachelor in Paradise over claims that DeMario Jackson had a sexual encounter with a contestant who was too drunk to consent
Bachelor in Paradise was suspended after producers allegedly filmed DeMario Jackson in a drunk sexual encounter with a female contestant who may have been too intoxicated to consent, two sources tell PEOPLE.
“The show absolutely values the primacy of consent, and this instance it appears as though conduct allegedly occurred without the proper consent having been given,” a source within the show says.
Officials announced Sunday that they have suspended production on season four and are conducting a “thorough investigation” into the incident.
Sources connected to Jackson told TMZ that one of the story lines on season four of BiP would be Jackson and the contestant hooking up. The source told TMZ that “everything was fine” after the drunken sexual encounter and that Jackson and the woman continued to get along.
One contestant on the show tells PEOPLE that two other cast members saw the interaction, which occurred after both Jackson and the woman involved had reportedly been drinking all day. The source adds that the contestants are upset that crew members did not do more to stop the incident.
“People are pissed, and not just at DeMario. We’re pissed that this whole thing happened,” the contestant says. “They could have seen that she was drinking too much and that he was taking advantage. They could have stopped this before it got this far. But they decided to let it go, and let it happen, and see what happened? So, I’m angry at the show, and everyone else is too.”
A source told Entertainment Tonight that the cast members had been “drinking all day” after arriving in Mexico when DeMario and the woman allegedly got close.
“DeMario was in the pool,” the source reportedly said. “Next thing you know, [the woman] comes over and hops on his lap. They start talking and joking.”
According to a source close to production, “It’s just an internal investigation.”
“There are no authorities involved, no law enforcement but the incident was flagged internally and they take these matter seriously, so they’re looking into it,” the source says. “But Bachelor in Paradise will not be resuming — this summer at least.”
Warner Bros. has not commented on the specific allegations brought against the cast member.
The cast was spotted at the airport on Sunday flying out of Puerto Vallarta, near the filming location.
Fan-favorites like Corinne Olympios from Nick Viall‘s season, Amanda Stanton from Ben Higgins‘ season and Robby Hayes from JoJo Fletcher‘s season were set to return to the show this year. Bachelor in Paradise first premiered on ABC in 2014.
In the popular show, the network shipped Bachelor and Bachelorette alums to a Mexico beach house. The initial cast starts with an uneven number of men and women, and at the end of the week, they pair up during a rose ceremony, which determines who from the outnumbered group will be going home. Each week, the show brings in more contestants, which flips the rotation.
PEOPLE is attempting to reach both parties involved in the incident for comment.
In situations of alleged sexual misconduct, PEOPLE declines to name the alleged victim without their consent.
- With reporting by AURELIE CORINTHIOS