"I actually would have liked to see her respond to critics on the show," Andy Cohen said of the backlash Teddi Mellencamp received for her weight loss program

By Robyn Merrett
September 23, 2020 06:16 PM
Advertisement
Andy Cohen, Teddi Mellencamp
| Credit: Bryan Bedder/Getty; Gary Gershoff/Getty

Andy Cohen says the controversy surrounding Teddi Mellencamp Arroyave's weight loss program All In by Teddi had "absolutely nothing" to do with her Real Housewives of Beverly Hills exit.

Cohen, 52, set the record straight about Teddi's departure on his SiriusXM radio show, Radio Andy, on Wednesday, explaining that he actually would have liked to see Teddi defend All In on the show. (Earlier this month the program came under fire after clients claimed that All In would restrict them to eating 500-1,000 calories a day.)

"Now there's a whole controversy online about her business," Cohen began. "That's going on now. I do want to say, people are speculating that the online chatter about her business led to her dismissal. I just want to say because I think it's important that one had absolutely nothing to do with the other."

"I actually would have liked to see her respond to her critics on the show. I would have liked to have seen that," Cohen continued.

Cohen went on to assert that he knows "nothing" about her business and has only heard good things.

"I will say that Jeff Lewis and team, I was tuning in the other day and they were talking about it. I remember them saying [that] they went through the All In program and they did not have bad things to say about it. I think they said they were hungry, but he said that that program taught him how to order food in restaurants," Cohen continued.

"I don't know. I've never done it. I don't know anything about it, but I did just want to clear that up," Cohen said. "I wish her well."

Cohen also raved over Teddi's announcement, saying, "I thought [it] was one of the most, no BS I'm leaving announcements on record."

"That was really good. I have to say, everyone has just been through it. The year, like it's not many people for whom this year has been good for. She had some major health stuff with her kids," Cohen said of Teddi's 6-month-old daughter Dove who underwent neurosurgery this year after being diagnosed with lambdoid craniosynostosis.

Teddi and husband Edwin Arroyave, 43, have three children: baby Dove, son Cruz, 6, and daughter Slate, who turns 7 next month.

"I was watching that, thinking, wow, she's been through it health wise with her kids," Cohen added.

Edwin (R) and Teddi Mellencamp Arroyave
| Credit: Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic

Mellencamp Arroyave announced on Tuesday that after three seasons on the franchise, her contract has not been renewed. She joined the cast in season 8, which premiered in 2017.

"Hey guys, just here, hangin' with baby Dove," she shared in an Instagram video, before revealing the news. "I don't want to bore you, but I figured I could give you a little update on what's going on. I recently found out that my contract as a Housewife is not being renewed."

"Of course I could give you the standard response of, 'Oh we both came to the decision that it would be best.' Nah, I'm not going to do that — that's not who I am. Of course when I got the news I was sad. It feels like a breakup, almost," she said, "because you develop such strong relationships with the cast, with the crew. And you get to do incredible things that you probably never get to experience without the show."

She continued, "That being said, I'm really looking forward to the future and being able to focus on my family, my friends, all in. I really feel like I have some exciting things ahead. And you know what? I'm pretty busy with this lil' nuggs," she said, panning the camera to daughter Dove.

"So, thanks for coming along on this journey with me and I'll see you soon," she concluded.

The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
| Credit: John Tsiavis/Bravo/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty

The Bravo star captioned the post: "You heard it here last 😂 Yes, it’s true, I am not coming back to #RHOBH. Thank you to @bravotv, @evolutionusa, @bravoandy and all of the amazing women for the support (and the shade) for the past three years. Back to the shadows I go 🤪."

Teddi's reveal came after she had just defended All In against backlash after social media influencer Emily Gellis Lande shared anonymous messages from former All In by Teddi clients claiming that the program demanded an hour of cardio daily in addition to their 500-1,000 calorie per day restrictions.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1,600 calories are the minimum needed for the average sedentary adult to meet their body's daily nutrient needs.

“For one, I wanted to say I love All In. I am so incredibly proud of the over 15,000 lives we have helped change,” she began. “I 100 percent feel confident in the fact that we let you know before signing up exactly what the program entails. If it’s something that you want to do and you want us to hold you accountable to your goals, we are there to do that for you. If it’s not something you want to sign up for, you don’t. That’s why I love that we are very transparent from the beginning.”

"We believe in you. We will fight for you, and we know that the best is yet to come," she concluded, captioning the video with a heart emoji.