Alaskan Bush People Mom Ami Brown’s Doctors Break Their Silence on Her Cancer Battle
Online haters have claimed that her diagnosis was being faked for the sake of reality television
When Alaskan Bush People star Ami Brown was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer and given a three percent chance of survival, the mother of seven received an outpouring of support from her fans— but also claims from online haters that her diagnosis was being faked for the sake of reality television.
Now, Ami’s doctors at UCLA Medical Center are breaking their silence on treating the TV star, releasing a statement exclusively to PEOPLE.
“Amora Brown was diagnosed with Stage III non-small cell lung cancer in April 2017,” reads the statement, which is featured in the current issue of PEOPLE, on stands Friday. “Treatment for her cancer included a four-month course of chemotherapy with radiation. Her disease responded well to the treatment, and, according to her UCLA oncologist Dr. Deborah Wong, she is now in remission. Although her most recent scans show no evidence of cancer, Amora will continue to be monitored closely by her medical team over the next several months.”
Because Ami has to return for checkups so frequently, the family has forgone their longtime home of rural Alaska for a new ranch in Washington State. As the family rebuilds their lives, Ami and her husband, Billy, are both looking forward to the many years together as a family they have hope to have ahead of them.
- For more on the Brown family, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands now
“This is what we always wanted but just couldn’t have up north,” says Billy, who is making plans to build a home for Ami while his children are designing adjacent dwellings of their own on their ranch.
“The Lord tells us if a man’s quiver is full, he is highly blessed,” says Ami, with a smile. “And we’re very blessed.”
- Olympic Athlete Claressa Shields Became a Fighter to Fulfill Her Dad's Pre-Prison Boxing Dreams
- Jennifer Lopez Says Nightly Family Dinners with Alex Rodriguez and Kids Have Been 'a Huge Blessing'
- Lindsay Czarniak on 'Silver Lining' of Pandemic Football — and Extra Time with Husband Craig Melvin
- Amy Allen Has Written Hits with Halsey, Harry and Selena — Now She's Ready for the Spotlight