In March, an Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed en route to Kenya, killing all 157 people onboard

By Helen Murphy
April 05, 2019 02:15 PM

A new report about the doomed Ethiopian Airlines flight that crashed in March says the plane hit the ground at 575 miles per hour, leaving a crater 32 feet deep.

The Boeing 737 Max 8 plane, which was en route to Kenya, crashed just six minutes after takeoff and killed all 157 people onboard, including eight Americans, airline officials said at the time.

In a 33-page preliminary report released on Thursday by the Ethiopian government, it was revealed that the plane’s airspeed indicator read 500 knots — about 575 miles per hour — right before the plane hit the ground.

Additionally, the report noted that the plane left a 32-foot-deep and 92-foot-wide hole in its wake.

“This accident was not survivable,” the report read. It also noted that the accident is still being investigated.

The report found that the crew onboard did their best to follow emergency procedures, but recommended that Boeing review the flight control system of the plane model.

A statement from Ethiopian Airlines on Thursday said the report “clearly showed” that the pilots were in “full compliance” with proper emergency procedures.

“The preliminary report clearly showed that the Ethiopian Airlines Pilots… have followed Boeing’s recommended and FAA’s approved emergency procedures to handle the most difficult emergency situation created on the airplane,” the statement read. “Despite their hard work and full compliance with the emergency procedures, it was very unfortunate that they could not recover the airplane from the persistence of nose diving.”

Boeing CEO Kevin McAllister responded to the report on Thursday, saying that the company would “take any and all additional steps necessary to enhance the safety of our aircraft.”

A Boeing 737 Max 8 plane, the same model in the Ethiopian Airlines crash, went down last year after taking off from Jakarta. All 189 people aboard the Lion Air flight also were killed.

Following the crash in March, President Trump called for the indefinite grounding of all Boeing 737 Max planes in the U.S.