Sweet Potato Soufflé with Maple-Ginger Syrup
PATE A CHOUX
1-½ cups milk
8 tbsp. butter
8 tbsp. flour
6 egg yolks
1. Bring milk and butter to a boil. Add flour, constantly stirring until a stiff dough is formed. Continue to cook while stirring until smooth and shiny, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Place in mixing bowl and, using an electric mixer on low speed, mix for 5 minutes. When cool, incorporate egg yolks, one at a time. The mixture should be bright yellow. Reserve for later.
SWEET POTATO MIXTURE
2 sweet potatoes
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
Peel potatoes and dice into 1″ pieces. Place in a pan with sugar, water and vanilla. Simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are soft. Drain excess liquid and purée the potatoes in a food processor until very smooth.
8 egg whites
Combine and whip with an electric mixer on high speed to medium peaks, about 5 to 7 minutes.
1 cup real maple syrup
1 thumb ginger, peeled and minced
Bring ingredients to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and strain ginger pieces out of the syrup. Keep warm.
1. In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat paté à choux and 1 cup of the sweet potato mixture until thoroughly mixed.
2. Remove mixture to a large bowl and, using a spatula, slowly fold in the whipped egg whites a little at a time until the batter is light.
3. Portion batter into buttered and floured 4-oz. soufflé molds. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 º for 18 to 21 minutes until golden brown and raised 1-½” above the mold.
4. Serve with sauce on side.