Couples Watch: Katie Holmes Throws Tom Cruise a Surprise 49th Birthday Bash
Plus: Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez go shopping in the Hamptons, and all the latest scoop on star romance
• Katie Holmes surprised Tom Cruise, who is in Florida filming Rock of Ages, with a surprise 49th birthday bash at Miami Beach’s SoHo Beach House. “Katie planned everything herself,” a source tells us. Cruise’s three kids – Suri, Connor and Isabella – were all there to celebrate, along with 40 close friends. The bash took place on the roof and inside the private venue, and guests enjoyed pasta, shrimp and other Italian dishes, in addition to chocolate birthday cake. “Katie has been very excited and actually did the RSVPs herself,” the source says. “She wanted to be sure everything was just right.”
• Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez have hit the Hamptons! The young couple dropped over $700 at Flying Point Surf and Sports in Bridgehampton, N.Y., according to an eyewitness. Gomez picked up Toms wedges and a dress, and Bieber also bought a pair of Toms shoes, among other items. “He kept calling her babe,” a source says of the cute couple. Next, they headed across the street to Candy Kitchen for ice cream. But when Bieber didn’t have any cash on him to pay – he offered to walk to a nearby ATM – another customer treated them.
• Jessica Simpson and fiancé Eric Johnson were in good company during dinner at Santa Monica’s Ivy at the Shore: they dined with the singer’s mom, Tina, and best pal Cacee Cobb. The group sat at a corner table, and Simpson was approached by two fans for a photo. Says an onlooker: “She was sweet and said yes.” During the leisurely meal, Simpson and Johnson were relaxed and “adorable with one another,” the onlooker says.
• Gabrielle Union partied with beau Dwyane Wade at Aura Nightclub at the Bahamas’s Atlantis Paradise Island Resort during a holiday weekend getaway. The two were joined by Wade’s Miami Heat teammate LeBron James and his girlfriend Savannah Brinson, and the group sipped cocktails and enjoyed an intimate night in the club’s VIP room.
• By JENNIFER GARCIA, LINDA MARX and JEFFREY SLONIM