Caught in the Act!
Plus: Mary-Kate & Ashley share a sisterly dinner, Kanye West and more
• Kristin Cavallari, soaking up the sun – thanks to a revealing suit! – during a visit to Malibu’s Polaroid Beach House with beau Nick Zano.
• Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, sharing a bottle of white wine during a supper outside at West Hollywood’s Chateau Marmont. During a rare visit, sans friends, the sisters laughed and talked for hours. At one point, Ellen DeGeneres approached their table to say hello. According to an onlooker, the talk show host seemed motherly toward the twins, leaning over and chatting. Then, she met up with girlfriend Portia de Rossi and two male friends for dinner on the patio.
• Courteney Cox Arquette, hubby David and daughter Coco, 3, working together on a craft project at the Summer on the Pier event (benefiting “The Rock” Foundation) at the Malibu Pier. The Arquettes helped their daughter pick out oil paint to use on seashells at the Art of Elysium booth (which aids disabled children). One seat over, John Travolta was busy painting shells with his daughter, Ella, 7. When they were finished, the two stopped by an ice cream cart for a sweet treat.
• Kate Bosworth, playing music scout at a show by new British act Bat for Lashes at Spaceland in Silver Lake, Calif. The actress arrived with two girlfriends, and they all came early for the midnight show, hanging in the back of the venue where they took in the ethereal music.
• Even Kanye West occasionally battles overzealous doormen, apparently. The superstar rapper got held up as he arrived at a release party for his friend (and protégé) Common. The rapper was celebrating his new album, Finding Forever, which West executive produced, at a Target-sponsored bash at One Sunset in Los Angeles. Once security realized who he was, West was whisked right in. Also inside, Common offered a big handshake and hug to his Smokin’ Aces costar Ryan Reynolds, who matched the guest of honor in a grey newsboy cap. “Ryan’s been my guy since Smokin’ Aces,” Common told us at his party, adding that his album release is “like the birth of a baby.” Meanwhile, Serena Williams and Will.I.Am. munched on hors d’oeuvres and listened to beats spun by the Roots’ drummer ?uestlove.
• By JESSICA HERNDON and JON WARECH