Caught in the Act!
Plus: Bruce Springsteen tries a new gig – as a wedding singer, Kanye West and more
• Just call them the Supportive Ex-Boyfriends Club: Wilmer Valderrama and DJ AM cheered on Mandy Moore from the VIP section at the Roxy in Los Angeles. The singer, who says she’s still friendly with her former beaus, was performing material from her new album Wild Hope. During the concert, Moore paid tribute to her pop roots, closing her hour-long set with a folk-tinged take on her original hit single “Candy.” After Moore finished, both Valderrama and DJ AM spent time chatting as the crowd filed out. Joining the two in the VIP section: Emmy Rossum, Sophia Bush, Heidi Montag and her fiancé Spencer Pratt.
• Following the Los Angeles premiere of Transformers, star Tyrese Gibson celebrated with the film’s director Michael Bay and Josh Henderson at Hollywood hotspot Winston’s. An onlooker tells us that Bay was especially celebratory – is he anticipating a box-office smash? – and he wrapped his arms around his guests and bought everybody drinks. Meanwhile, the actors seemed involved with their group of friends, though they later migrated toward the bar.
• At a packed Il Sole, newly legal Mary-Kate Olsen and sister Ashley, sipping Bellini cocktails while intently talking to each other throughout the meal. Following their dinner – they supped on salmon – the twins raced through the front door to their waiting Porsche. Meanwhile, across the restaurant, Ryan Seacrest dined with his mother and female friends, while at another table Charlize Theron and a female friend excitedly chatted over the Pappa al Pomodoro soup.
• Guests at a private wedding at Florentine Gardens in River Vale, NJ, got a big treat recently: An impromptu (and YouTube worthy) performance by Bruce Springsteen. The Boss, a friend of the couple, jumped up on stage with Hank Lane Music – yes, the wedding band – strapped on a guitar and performed his song “If I Should Fall Behind.” He then stayed up to join in for the Chuck Berry classic “C’Est La Vie,” trading solos with the band’s saxophonist and keyboardist. After his star turn onstage, Springsteen and his wife hit the dancefloor together.
• After midnight, and after her MAC Viva Glam soiree, Dita Von Teese hit London’s Polynesian-themed bar Mahiki, where she and her girlfriends downed the club’s signature drink – a champagne and rum cocktail served in an actual wooden chest! After spending an hour at the club – and you bet they were drinking with long straws –von Teese’s entourage took off. Shortly after, Kanye West dropped in – and the rapper was eager to play songs from his upcoming album. First, though, he took a pit stop to his Mercedes minivan parked outside, where a friend burned a CD with the tracks. Back inside, with fiancée Alexis in tow, the amused rapper unveiled his music and snapped photos of his friends sipping champagne out of the oversized treasure chest.
• By MARK DAGOSTINO, LISA INGRASSIA, MONIQUE JESSEN and MARISA LAUDADIO