Plus: Avril parties in South Beach with a new guy, Hayden chats up Deryck Whibley and more
• In New York City for the weekend, Katie Holmes stopped into Soho Baby, where 3-½-year-old daughter Suri was especially taken by a train set. After some perusing, Holmes bought her daughter rain boots, a matching backpack and little stuffed giraffe. “[Suri] was wearing nice dress shoes and she took them off and put the rain boots on,” a store employee tells us. According to the employee, Holmes complimented the store, and “[she] was very nice,” the employee says, adding that Suri was “quiet [but] she was smiling.”
• She may have been spotted recently with Wilmer Valderrama, but newly single Avril Lavigne made the rounds in South Beach over the weekend with Chris Jones, son of rocker Mick Jones of Foreigner. The duo stepped out for a pasta dinner at Macaluso’s with Charlotte Ronson, Chris’s brother Roman Jones and producer Scott Storch. “After dinner, they shared a corner VIP table at club Louis where they sat close together and occasionally danced to tunes by The Ting Tings and Jay-Z,” says a source, adding that Lavigne kept a low profile in her low-slung baseball cap.
• Hayden Panettiere was escorted to a table at Voyeur in West Hollywood by a big bodyguard where she danced the night away with some girlfriends, but also spent time with Avril Lavigne’s ex-husband Deryck Whibley: The two were whispering to each other, chatting and laughing, though the Heroes star seemed more interested in her girlfriends. Whibley arrived with a buddy, but the rocker wandered around the club, stopping to say hi to everyone, including Lindsay Lohan, who was sitting at the biggest table in the room, looking upbeat and happy to be out with her friends.
• Carrie Underwood, dropping more than $100 on beauty products at the La Prairie counter at Bloomingdale’s Beverly Center in L.A. The country star, in town for the American Music Awards, picked up Cellular Treatment Illuminating Face Powder ($60) and Cellular Treatment Bronzing Powder ($60).
• Meanwhile, Kelly Clarkson, also in town for the AMAs, visited the Solstice Sunglass boutique at the mall with two friends. Sporting red hair and a knit hat, the singer bought a pair of Marc Jacobs metal sunglasses before taking off.
• By DAVID CAPLAN, JENNIFER GARCIA, MELISSA LIEBLING-GOLDBERG, LINDA MARX and LESLEY MESSER