Victoria's Secret Models Dish on How It Feels to Walk in the Show
Even Angels get nervous
Appearing in front of a crowd in your underwear is a nightmare for many, but for Victoria’s Secret models, it’s a dream come true.
But what is it really like to be a part of the ultra-gorgeous, super-fit crew that struts down the runway every year? Only a few people in the world know the real inside story, and we aren’t willing to endure even one of their grueling workouts to find out for ourselves. Luckily, we got them to spill.
- 1. Even a model with an Angel’s body gets insecure.
- “I think every single person in the world has insecurities. It’s crazy because I think that when other people look at all of the VS models or all of the girls [who] are walking, they’re like, ‘They’re not human. They don’t have any insecurities.’ But I think every single girl [who’s] going to be walking probably has an insecurity.”
- — Bella Hadid, to PEOPLE
2. Yeah, they work really hard to make sure they look like that.
“I want to enhance every curve possible so I look banging hot when I go out there. So, I hit the gym a little harder. The couch will never win a fight over me.”
— Josephine Skriver, to PEOPLE
- 3. It’s an emotional experience for many of the models.
- “I did [cry] a little bit, [during] my first fitting. I had tears. You know when you feel it in your throat — that you’re about to cry. I held myself back. I stopped myself. Honestly, the show is such a dream come true. So walking in it is a really big deal for me. I’m extremely excited. I just hope I don’t cry [on the runway].”
- — Kendall Jenner, to POPSUGAR
4. Even veterans get scared when it comes to casting — which is part of the reason earning “Angel” status is so coveted.
“One of the perks of being an Angel is that I don’t have to go to casting. It’s so nerve wracking – even the girls who have been in the show year after year still get nervous. The show is seen around the world, so it’s a huge honor to be selected.”
— Lily Aldridge, to the UK’s The Standard
5. Many still can’t believe they’re really there at all!
“I never thought I would get to the point where I was walking Victoria’s Secret fashion shows and being an Angel. It’s all still really surreal to me. My brother is like, ‘You are a Victoria’s Secret Angel?’ He cannot believe it. When I told him the first time he was like, ‘You? On that catwalk?’ So it’s such an amazing surprise for me in my career to be able to do this.”
— Elsa Hosk, to Harper’s Bazaar
- 6. For a model, having the opportunity to wear the Fantasy Bra is an overwhelming honor.
- “I looked up so many supermodels growing up like Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum who wore this Fantasy Bra and I never thought that I would actually get the chance to wear it. I think it’s such a milestone for me because I am an African-American girl and there hasn’t been many in the past that have worn a Fantasy Bra. I think that’s a huge thing, and I am honored to be able to represent that for the brand.”
- — Jasmine Tookes, to People
7. The show is a time to celebrate — and models do so with friends and family.
“Usually I have my mom with me at the show and some friends, so after the show we all go and have a dinner together.”
— Adriana Lima, to Elle
- 8. They try to keep their holiday-induced munching to minimum.
- “Keep hydrated, eat healthy. It’s hard because we just had Halloween so you want to eat all this candy, but forget the candy! Thanksgiving is just before we film the show so we just try to be as healthy as we can and work out.”
- — Alessandra Ambrosio, to E!
9. They’re working out until the last second.
“We always do squats but I’m like ‘It’s not going to help us now, it’s too late.'”
— Behati Prinsloo, to Elle
10. Yes, there are nerves — but that’s part of the fun!
“I’m totally nervous! I’m excited for tonight, but I’m very nervous. That’s the fun of it too—I hope the excitement and the butterflies never go away.”
— Karlie Kloss, to Seventeen