The Globes Quotes Everyone Will Be Talking About Tomorrow
"A few years back I expressed interest in this role and I was told they were waiting for Benedict Cumberbatch to be born."
– introducing The Imitation Game
"My father used to tell me to say every morning, ‘Today is going to be a great day, I can and I will.’ Well Dad, today is a great day, I can and I did."
– Jane the Virgin’s Gina Rodriguez winning the best actress in a TV comedy award
"I realize I am the hopeful black woman who was denied her right to vote. I am the caring white supporter killed on the front lines of freedom. I am the unarmed black kid who maybe needed a hand but instead was given a bullet. I am the two fallen police officers murdered in the line of duty. Selma has awakened my humanity."
– Common, accepting the best original song award for “Glory” with John Legend
"To my husband, Simon Halls, and our three kids, Kit, Walker, Henry: I love you for putting up with me when I was 130 pounds and really grumpy when you ate pizza in front of me."
– The Normal Heart’s Matt Bomer in his acceptance speech for best supporting actor in a series, mini-series or TV movie
"I didn’t even reapply lip gloss!"
– A surprised , who won for best actress in a musical or comedy for Big Eyes
"Meryl, thank you for giving me a hug. I hope your DNA transferred to me."
– Boyhood’s Patricia Arquette in her acceptance speech for best supporting actress in a motion picture
"You no have thousand baby playing guitar at the same time. You no have people holding many cards to make one big picture. You no have Dennis Rodman, no basketball at all."
– Margaret Cho’s fake North Korean dictator complaining about the Globes
"But it did not take 12 years, it took 12 weeks spread over the course of 12 years, so we can pump the breaks on the freak-outs on the 12 years."
– Presenter Jack Black joking about the Boyhood buzz
"It’s nice at last that men are getting the recognition they deserve for being good at comedy."
– A sarcastic Jane Fonda (with co-presenter Lily Tomlin) before announcing the winner of best actor in a TV series, comedy
"And Dom, your ass is something of great beauty. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise."
– Best actress in a TV series, drama winner Ruth Wilson sending a little love to The Affair costar Dominic West
"Our next presenter is a woman who’s known by only one name: Winfrey."
– introducing Selma’s one-name wonder
"And I’m ."
– Paul Rudd, presenting an award with Shelton’s The Voice buddy
"This is just the beginning of my revenge."
– Eight-time nominee (and first-time winner!) Kevin Spacey in his acceptance speech for best actor in a TV series, drama for House of Cards
"It’s a humbling thing when you find someone to love. Even better if you’ve been waiting your whole life. And when your whole life is 53 years, eh, you can start the jokes. Amal, whatever alchemy it is that brought us together I couldn’t be more proud to be your husband."
– making everyone swoon while thanking his new wife during his acceptance speech for the Cecil B. DeMille award
"’So I passed it.’ Classic."
– Presenter Kristen Wiig quoting “the most memorable” line from The Terminator (not!) while presenting the best screenplay award with Bill Hader
"You can take your own helicopter home."
– Presenter Chris Pratt to wife Anna Faris, when jokingly talking about raising 2½-year-old son Jack as a mixed-network child (Mom is CBS, Dad’s NBC)
"Don’t you remember that day on the set I picked up that old rotary phone and said, ‘One day people will be able to watch things on this?’"
"I thought you were just high that day."
"Two things can be true."
– Former 9 to 5 costars Tomlin and Fonda recalling Tomlin’s prediction that we’d be watching TV on our phones someday