The Best Quotes from the Grammys
"I happen to have a lot of friends in this category this year, so I just want to say, as a former loser of best new artist in 2008, if you do not win this award, it s gonna be fine, just like, shake it off."
– , opening the show by presenting the best new artist award
"This is super awkward, and I m gonna moonwalk my way off the stage right now."
– a “Happy” (and short-suited) Pharrell Williams, accepting the award for best pop solo performance
"I want to thank the man who this record is about, who I fell in love with last year. Thank you so much for breaking my heart, because you got me four Grammys."
– Sam Smith, the night’s big winner, in his record of the year acceptance speech. (He later told reporters of the man in question, “I’ll be seeing him soon, so I can let him touch the Grammys – once!”)
"I d like to thank my beloved husband, I love you deep. My daughter who s watching, Blue, I love you. And I d like to say thank you to my BeyHive. Thank you guys for riding so hard."
– giving a shout-out to her people while accepting best R&B performance for “Drunk in Love”
"Authentic love does not devalue another human being. Authentic love does not silence, shame or abuse."
– domestic violence activist (and survivor) Brooke Axtell, in a spoken-word piece introducing performance of “By the Grace of God”
"Albums – remember those? Like books and Black lives, albums still matter."
– Prince, presenting album of the year
"Stevie, how you just gonna come out and just do the harmonica and get a standing ovation? How much talent does he have?"
– Jamie Foxx teasing co-presenter Stevie Wonder before announcing record of the year