Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Pale Metallics, Big Belts and the Fabric That's Falling Short
See what looks are sizzling -- and fizzling -- on the red carpet!
Gary Gershoff/WireImage; Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic
In our weekly roundup of the looks that are gaining fashion ground (and the ones losing their style street cred), we saw light, shiny dresses, large waist cinchers and a fabric best worn while on the hunt (for the perfect pair of shoes that is).
Up: Pale Metallics. This trend has been super popular in shoes, and now the shine has moved from the soles of their feet to the styles on their body. Emma Watson (left) executes the style flawlessly (as usual) in her asymmetrical, jacquard Narciso Rodriguez skirt in a pale peach. Leighton Meester sports an icy-blue sheen in her Emporio Armani shift while Emmy Rossum opts for a silvery-cream Tory Burch. Since Hollywood loves having major metallic moments, it’s clear that this is a look that will be taking off very soon.
Up: Big Belts. These bands may not be as big as the piece that Vera Wang wore to the Little Black Dress Fashion Show in 2013, but they still make a statement. Style Council Member Cat Deeley (center) accessorizes her white Alexander McQueen dress with a matching, oversized belt, giving her curves in all the right places. Actress Elizabeth Banks also accentuates her hourglass figure in her honeycomb Monique Lhuillier midi and we’ll likely see more stars cinching their middle in similarly wide belts.
Down: Tweed. Though Greta Gerwig’s Chanel pink tweed dress is the perfect color for spring, the fabric is a heavy contrast to the sheer and satin dresses seen all over the red carpet. Perhaps it’s time to pack up tweed and put it in the back of the closet for a while.
- Which of these trends will you try? Which will you skip? Tell us in the comments!
- Even more red carpet trend reports:
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on ‘Cupcake’ Skirts, Strappy Sandals and the Leather Not Great for Warmer Weather
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Big Lapels, Geometric Prints and the Earrings Best Left in the Jewelry Box
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Light Blue Nails, the Faux Bob and the Collar Celebs are Shedding
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Dark Florals, Neck Bows and the Accessory that Couldn’t Hold On
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Extreme Prints, Bold Jackets and Saying Bye to Black Nails