Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on 'Cupcake' Skirts, Strappy Sandals and the Leather Not Great for Warmer Weather
See what looks are sizzling -- and fizzling -- on the red carpet!
In our weekly roundup of the looks that are gaining fashion ground (and the ones losing their style street cred), we saw voluminous skirts, fun shoes and a pair of pants that are super-hot — perhaps too hot for the upcoming warmer temperatures.
Up: Cupcake (or Tulip) Skirts. This trend has us thinking about a very popular Sir Mix-A-Lot song (and we cannot lie)! And it also seems very Easter-appropriate, given its name association with sweets and flowers. The lower half of Emmy Rossum’s KaufmanFranco design (left) has a perfect tulip shape, accentuating her toned, tanned legs (and we love the Reese + Riley blazer she topped it with). Chrissy Teigen looked like the top of a cupcake in her Ulyana Sergeenko full-skirted mini, while Jessica Alba looked equally buoyant in her Kenzo bottom. This is a great style for showing of those summer stems, so we can be sure that other stars will be sporting similar looks.
Up: Strappy Sandals. As one editor said to another in an e-mail earlier, “Down with nude pumps!” We were so delighted to see some of our favorite celebs taking full advantage of the warmer weather by rocking some fun new (open-toed!) designs. Solange Knowles (center) opted for some citrusy Jimmy Choo heels to complete her head-to-toe tangerine look. Christina Hendricks and Shailene Woodley also choose some gladiator-inspired heels that we hope will be taking the place of winter’s snoozy neutral pumps.
Down: Leather Pants. No, this doesn’t mean that the fabric is going away entirely (you can breath now), but you probably won’t see Jaime Pressly’s black skinnies (right) for a while. What you can expect to see are warm weather leathers in the form of skirts, tops and jackets over dresses.
- Which of these trends will you try? Which will you skip? Tell us in the comments!
- Even more red carpet trend reports:
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Big Lapels, Geometric Prints and the Earrings Best Left in the Jewelry Box
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Light Blue Nails, the Faux Bob and the Collar Celebs are Shedding
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Dark Florals, Neck Bows and the Accessory that Couldn’t Hold On
- Red Carpet Trend Report: The Scoop on Extreme Prints, Bold Jackets and Saying Bye to Black Nails