Want Waves Like Kendall Jenner's for New Year's Eve? Follow Sarah Potempa's Fuss-Free Steps
The celeb hair pro proves all it takes is one tool to create gorgeous waves
Celebrity hairstylist Sarah Potempa is one of Hollywood’s biggest wave whisperers. So much so that in nearly five years, the pro launched her very own curling iron company, The Beachwaver Co., which has since helped every day women and her celeb clientele (such as clients like Kaley Cuoco and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley) get envy-inducing styles sans stylist.
Yes, you read that right. After being fed up with hearing women tell her how hard it was to create a style often deemed effortless, she spent two years constructing an automatic, rotating (a.k.a does-it-all) tool. And now after giving what we thought was already the greatest gift possible, Potempa’s sharing even more of her (easy!) secrets for low-key waves that’ll breathe new lift into ho-hum holiday party hair.
If this magical wand looks at all familiar, we can think of a few reasons. We’ve extolled it’s curl power before, oh and there’s the fact that it was the go-to tool behind nearly every hairdo at the 2016 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show (where Potempa personally used it to create Kendall Jenner’s amazing waves, nbd). Here are her five simple tips for creating the sexy look.
1. Start with the perfect part: “I’ve known Lea Michele for over 10 years, and a relaxed wave is one of her signature looks. When we don’t want the style to look beachy, I part her hair in a nice, clean line first. Having that creates a more polished look.”
2. Curl pieces away from your face: “Even though Emily Blunt’s hair has a natural wave, I still go through it with a Beachwaver after I air-dry it to create a little bend going away from her face, just for a slight enhancement. If I don’t, her hair might look a little flat against her cheekbones. One rotation of the iron is all you need if you have a natural wave like hers.”
3. Leave the ends out of the iron: “Kendall Jenner likes her hair with a little less of a curl, so at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in November, I avoided curling the ends—meaning the last two inches of each piece. It definitely goes against traditional curling technique, but doing so gives your look that relaxed vibe.”
4. Add lots of volume: “To give my clients like Bryce Dallas Howard even more fullness, after curling the hair, I spray it with a texturizer (among her favorites, Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray), then I take sections and lift them up to separate them so the look has a light airiness to it.”
5. Curl your fringe, too: “When you have slightly longer bangs, like Mandy Moore, you can use the Beachwaver to give them bend. Just clamp the ends of your hair and very slowly tap one of the buttons on the iron to rotate the barrel. Your hairstyle should look effortless, but finished!”
Are you adding The Beachwaver to the top of your holiday shopping list? Share below!