Tiger Woods was taken into custody at around 3 a.m. on Monday in Jupiter, Florida

By Char Adams
May 29, 2017 11:41 AM

Legendary golfer Tiger Woods was arrested early Monday in Florida on suspicion of driving under the influence, PEOPLE confirms.

Woods, 41, was taken into custody at around 3 a.m. in Jupiter along Military Trail, south of Indian Creek Parkway, a Jupiter Police Department spokeswoman tells PEOPLE.

He was transported to Palm Beach County Jail where he remained throughout the morning, the spokeswoman says.

He was charged with a DUI and released on his own recognizance at 10:50 a.m., according to booking records.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Woods’ rep did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

This is not the first time Woods has made it into headlines for something other than his backswing. In 2009, a high-profile sex scandal linked Woods to dozens of women while he was married to then-wife Elin Nordegren.

Tiger Woods

In the years that followed, a series of injuries rattled the athlete’s golf career. In fact, Woods underwent fusion surgery on his back in April — his fourth on his back since spring 2014, ESPN reports.

In a blog post on his website last week — his first since the surgery — Woods wrote that he wants to play professional golf again, but noted that the road back to the green would be a long one.

“Presently, I’m not looking ahead,” he wrote. “I can’t twist for another two and a half to three months. Right now, my sole focus is rehab and doing what the doctors tell me. I am concentrating on short-term goals.”

In January, Woods missed the cut at the Farmers Insurance Open, ESPN reports. He withdrew from February’s Dubai Desert Classic with back spasms, marking an early end to his season, USA Today reports.

Before then, Woods sat out all of the 2016 season while recovering from a pair of back surgeries, according to the Boston Globe.