Woman in Prince Philip Crash Says She Hasn’t Received an Apology as He’s Warned About Seatbelt
Prince Philip overturned his Land Rover following a collision with another vehicle earlier this week
Philip, 97, walked away uninjured after overturning his Land Rover following a collision with a Kia near the royal family’s country estate in Norfolk on Thursday, while 46-year-old Emma Fairweather, who was sitting in the passenger seat, broke her wrist. Additionally, the driver, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee. Her 9-month-old baby, who was in the backseat, was uninjured.
In an interview with the Sunday Mirror, Fairweather said she was disappointed with the royal family because she had yet to receive an apology from Philip.
“I’m lucky to be alive and he hasn’t even said sorry,” Fairweather told the outlet.
“It would mean the world to me if Prince Philip said sorry but I have no idea if he’s sorry at all,” she added.
Fairweather went on to share that while she did receive a message from a police family liaison officer, “the message he passed on didn’t even make sense. He said, ‘The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would like to be remembered to you.’ That’s not an apology or even a well-wish.”
A palace spokeswoman tells PEOPLE that following the collision, “A full message of support was sent to both the driver and the passenger.”
The palace spokesperson had no comment on other parts of the interview.
Fairweather also disputed a witness’ claim that Philip claimed to have been “dazzled by the sun” before the crash.
“I can’t see how that could be true when it was overcast,” Fairweather told the Sunday Mirror.
- Can’t get enough of PEOPLE’s Royals coverage? Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
On Saturday, just two days after the crash, Philip was seen back behind the wheel in a replacement vehicle, driving without a seatbelt near the royal family’s Sandringham Estate.
Although a palace spokesperson had no comment, Norfolk Police tell PEOPLE, “We are aware of the photograph.”
“Suitable words of advice has been given to the driver. This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of, or receiving such images showing this type of offense,” the authorities add.
RELATED VIDEO: Prince Philip’s Car Crash Involved 28-Year-Old Woman and 9-Month-Old Baby: ‘He Was Shaken’
Philip also received an eyesight test on Saturday morning, which he passed, according to a police spokesperson.
“We can confirm a Norfolk Police officer carried out an eyesight test on the morning of Saturday 19th of January with the driver of the Land Rover who successfully passed,” the spokesperson tells PEOPLE. “The collision investigation is ongoing and no further details will be released at this time.”
On doctor’s advice, Philip visited the hospital on Friday morning for a “precautionary check-up.”
“His Royal Highness had no injuries of concern. The Duke has returned to Sandringham,” a palace spokesperson said.
“It was an astonishing escape for everyone,” Roy Warne, who helped free Philip from the car, told reporters outside his home in Norfolk on Friday, adding that it looked like there “had been extraordinarily severe injuries. But fortunately the injuries were very light. People could have been killed — the impact must have been enormous.”
Warne, a retired lawyer, added, “He was obviously shaken and then he went and asked if everyone else [in the other car] was alright.”
Philip was able to stand after he was helped from the vehicle. “There was a little bit of blood and one of the royal entourage gave me a wipe to wipe my hands,” Warne said.
“As is standard procedure with injury collisions, the incident will be investigated and any appropriate action taken,” police in Norfolk said. “We are aware of the public interest in this case, however, as with any other investigation it would be inappropriate to speculate on the causes of the collision until an investigation is carried out.”