Get the Ultimate Summer Dessert Recipe Enjoyed by the Royals!
Read more about this warm-weather palace tradition in the summer issue of PEOPLE Royals, out now
There's nothing sweeter than English strawberries and cream! And this centuries-old royal tradition is deceptively decadent — and easy to make.
Together, strawberries and cream "create a deliciously airy and sweet pairing," Nick Marston, chairman of the trade body British Summer Fruits, says in the summer issue of PEOPLE Royals, out now. The combo has been enjoyed in the U.K. for centuries, with Cardinal Wolsey — right-hand man to King Henry VIII — credited as the first person to create the dish in the 16th century. The Wimbledon tennis championships now serve close to 192,000 portions of the juicy treats every year!
Get the latest issue of PEOPLE Royals for glamorous new photos and inside stories royals fans haven't seen or read elsewhere! Subscribe at peopleroyals.com/launch
Royals Strawberries & Vanilla Cream
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
1 lb. small fresh strawberries, hulled
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
1/3 cup powdered sugar or superfine sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
1. Toss together strawberries and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
2. Place whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
3. Spoon strawberries with rendered strawberry juices evenly into serving bowls. Top each with a generous dollop of vanilla whipped cream and garnish with mint.
Following the premiere issue of PEOPLE Royals that launched in the spring, the summer edition drops on June 11. The new issue explores how Princess Diana changed the monarchy for good, the dos and don'ts of royal PDA and former First Lady Michelle Obama opens up about the first time she met Queen Elizabeth! Plus, so much more — like the cocktail fit for the royal box at Wimbledon and the hottest royal travel spots.
- Nelly Dishes on Newly Released Country-Inspired Album: 'I've Been Trying to Make Sure I Get It Right'
- Yungblud Got Career Advice from Avril Lavigne, Robert Smith, and Liam Gallagher: 'Rockstar Moment'
- Derek Hough Is 'Proud' of How Sister Julianne Hough Handled The Activist Backlash: 'I'm in Awe of Her'
- Anderson Cooper Used to Give Mom Gloria Vanderbilt Dating Advice: 'We Had a Unique Relationship'