Prince William Might Miss the Birth of Meghan and Harry's Baby – and Prince Louis' First Birthday
Prince William's newly announced trip to New Zealand could coincide with family events
Prince William may be miles away when his younger brother becomes a first-time father.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will welcome their baby in the coming weeks – the Duchess of Sussex previously told fans that she was due in late April – but William has an important event to attend around the same time.
It was announced Wednesday that William, 36, will travel to New Zealand in late April to honor the victims of the Christchurch mosques terrorist attack. The trip will be made on behalf of the Queen and at the request of the Prime Minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern.
“The Duke will meet with those affected by the attack and will pay tribute to the extraordinary compassion and solidarity that the people of New Zealand have displayed in recent weeks,” Kensington Palace said in the announcement.
Although the exact dates of the royal’s visit have not been released, it could easily coincide with Baby Sussex’s highly anticipated arrival.
William’s trip could also mean he’ll be away for the first birthday of his son, Prince Louis, on April 23 – especially if the royal plans to be in New Zealand in the lead-up to Anzac Day. The anniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli during World War I is remembered on April 25.
Just two days after the birth of Prince Louis last year, William attended the annual Anzac Day Service of Commemoration and Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey alongside Harry and Meghan. During the service, William was caught having a tough time keeping his eyes open for a few moments during the service. The royal appeared to drift off a few times, then waking back up with numerous blinks — the universal sign for a parent of a newborn!
In the wake of the mass shooting tragedy in New Zealand that left 50 dead, Kensington Palace issued a joint statement on behalf of Prince William, Kate Middleton, Prince Harry, and Meghan, where the royal couples referred to the “senseless attacks” as a “horrifying assault on a way of life that embodies decency, community, and friendship.”
“Our hearts go out to the families and friends of the people who lost their lives in the devastating attack in Christchurch,” the lengthy statement on Instagram began, alongside a photo of the New Zealand flag.
“We have all been fortunate to spend time in Christchurch and have felt the warm, open-hearted and generous spirit that is core to its remarkable people,” they wrote. “No person should ever have to fear attending a sacred place of worship.”
Meghan and Harry made a surprise visit to New Zealand House in London a few days after the attack to sign a book of condolences for the victims.
Meghan wrote: “Our deepest condolences. We are with you.” Harry signed his name with “Arohanui,” which is Maori for “best wishes.”
- Can’t get enough of PEOPLE’s Royals coverage? Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
This will be Prince William’s sixth official visit to New Zealand, with the most recent being his 2014 tour with Kate and a young Prince George.