Prince Philip Visited Hospital for 'Precautionary Check-Up' After Crash: 'No Injuries of Concern'
“On Doctor’s advice, The Duke of Edinburgh visited the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn this morning for a precautionary check-up. This confirmed His Royal Highness had no injuries of concern. The Duke has returned to Sandringham,” a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said.
The Duke of Edinburgh was involved in the collision around 3 p.m. on Thursday near Sandringham Estate. The 97-year-old royal was uninjured, although those who were on-hand said there was blood at the scene after Philip overturned his Land Rover following a collision with a Kia driven by a 28-year-old woman with a 9-month-old baby in the backseat.
A palace spokeswoman said: “Contact has been made privately with those traveling in the other car and well wishes exchanged.”
The Kia driver suffered cuts to her knee while a 45-year-old woman sitting in the passenger seat broke her wrist. The 9-month-old baby was uninjured in the incident, local police in Norfolk said Friday.
“It was an astonishing escape for everyone,” Roy Warne, a retired lawyer, told reporters outside his home in Norfolk on Friday, adding that it appeared as if there “had been extraordinarily severe injuries. But fortunately the injuries were very light. People could have been killed the impact must have been enormous.”
Warne added, “He was obviously shaken and then he went and asked if everyone else [in the other car] was alright.”
Philip was able to stand after he was helped from the vehicle. “There was a little bit of blood and one of the royal entourage gave me a wipe to wipe my hands,” Warne said.
According to friend and biographer Gyles Brandreth, Prince Philip will reluctantly accept that he has to give up driving in public if he is advised to do so following the car crash.
“He is a pragmatist and a realist and I’m sure he will accept that while possibly muttering under his breath,” Brandreth tells PEOPLE.