Prince Albert of Monaco Shares His Disbelief Over Paris Massacre: 'It's Incomprehensible'
"I hope that people will be able to adjust, to resume their lives. It will be difficult, and sadly, I think we'll see more events like this," Prince Alberts tells PEOPLE
In an exclusive interview with PEOPLE, the 57-year-old royal says that he finds it impossible to understand how people can be convinced to carry out such acts of violence.
“Personally, I don’t understand how [ISIS] can indoctrinate people to this point. I understand they recruit young people who have no outlook, little hope in life, but for people to go to this point, to go so far, is incomprehensible to me. It’s incomprehensible.
“I hope that people will be able to adjust, to resume their lives. It will be difficult, and sadly, I think we’ll see more events like this, he says.
And as the citizens of Monaco prepare to celebrate the country s National Day on Thursday, the father of twins Jacques and Gabriella adds, “I think people all over are generally worried. People everywhere. It can hit anywhere.”
He also revealed authorities in Monaco, which is about 500 miles south of Paris, have been taking new measures to try to prevent similar attacks.
“Even though Monaco shouldn’t be a target, it has to be taken into greater consideration and we’ve taken steps. It could happen anywhere because they want to send a message, so we’ve beefed up security and we’re increasing security at certain entry points here,” he says.
The prince says that the events will put a “damper on the public’s mood” on National Day later this week.
• Want to keep up with the latest royals coverage? Click here to subscribe to the Royals Newsletter.
“We can’t help but be impacted. We’re making changes to the celebration and we’ll observe two separate minutes of silence – one before the parade and one at the opera gala in the evening,” he says. “We’re going to change the music in the cathedral as well. It will be different – a more somber mood.”
The prince sent his formal condolence to French President Hollande on Saturday.
And he suggests that the movement of people through Europe, while rooted in good intentions over recent history, is now “out of control.”
“It is a tremendous problem for France and for Europe in general. It is, I feel, the result of 60 years of different populations coming into France, he says. “I’m not saying that was wrong at the time, but the current situation is out of control.”