Kate Middleton Used the Ultimate Mom Hack at George and Charlotte's Polo Playdate
We've all been there!
One day after attending the Trooping the Colour celebrations, Kate and her older two kids, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, went to cheer on Prince William at his charity polo match in Gloucester, England.
“Kate is a fantastic mum,” an onlooker at the match tells PEOPLE. “She was calm with the children.” Using a British phrase for “run loose,” the onlooker says, “She let them have their head.”
The royal mom, 36, who welcomed son Prince Louis on April 23, also used a tried-and-true technique for planning the rest of her day.
At one point, “She seemed to say to [George, 4, and Charlotte, 3], ‘First to the polo field is the winner!’ ” the observer adds. “She was trying to get them tired before they had to get back in the car to leave.”
George and Charlotte also ran around the field and played with their older cousin Savannah Phillips, the 7-year-old daughter of William’s cousins Peter and Autumn Phillips.
“[Savannah] sat with Charlotte in her lap,” says the observer. “She hugged her and balanced her on her knee.”
RELATED VIDEO: How 3-Year-Old Princess Charlotte Took Charge of the Other Kids at the Royal Wedding: ‘No, You Can’t Go Yet!’
Charlotte also took notes from her older cousin as she attempted to do a headstand just like she did, which gave Kate a laugh.
George didn’t participate in the headstand action, but did entertain himself by playing with a rainbow slinky.
- Can’t get enough of PEOPLE’s Royals coverage? Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
Despite the photographers, Kate “didn’t get stressed about it, or pass that along to the children,” says the onlooker. “She let them play. She let them get on with it, sliding down the hill and rolling on the grass.”
- Mentalist Jason Suran Brings People Together — Virtually — for a Theatrical Experience via Zoom
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Releases a New Boozy 'Dwanta Claus' Holiday Ice Cream Line
- Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas Spend First Thanksgiving Together: They're 'Very Happy,' Source Says
- Patrick Duffy Explains the Appeal of Lifetime Christmas Movies: 'Love Always Wins at the End'