The Spanish and British royals will meet another day

By Simon Perry
Updated February 04, 2016 11:55 AM
Advertisement
Credit: Fotonoticias/WireImage

Put away the crown jewels for another day!

A planned visit to the U.K. from the king and queen of Spain has been called off – for the time being.

That means there will be no grand State Banquet (yet!) for Queen Elizabeth to host for King Felipe and Queen Letizia, 43.

Want to keep up with the latest royals coverage? Click here to subscribe to the Royals Newsletter.

Current political uncertainty in Spain is the reason that the tour, which had been set for March 8-10, has been shelved for now.

Buckingham Palace says it is too early to comment on any future plans for possibly rescheduling the visit.

Queen Elizabeth’s Changing Looks

“The Queen has been informed of the Spanish government’s decision to cancel the forthcoming State Visit,” a statement from the Palace said. “The Queen of course fully understands the decision and the context in which it was taken.”

Letizia and Felipe had a full schedule in 2015, including official trips to Paris and the United States.

The visit was a key part of the Queen’s spring schedule and the Spanish couple was set to stay at Windsor Castle.

It isn’t the first time that such a trip has been put off – although it’s been a while. In June 1961, the king and queen of Belgium were forced to rearrange their visit for five years later in 1966, and in 1987, the president of Italy was obliged by domestic political circumstances to put off his trip until 1990.