Think celebrities always get all the freebies they want? Think again. Only one star got to take home a copy of the new EA Sports Madden NFL 2005 Xbox game after the launch party at L.A. club Shelter recently. The lucky fella? Vince Vaughn, who is such a diehard fan of the game that we’re told he’s had every version, so EA rewarded his loyalty with the advance copy. Everyone else at the bash – including Muhammad Ali, Owen Wilson, Cole Hauser, Nicole Richie, Danny Masterson and Shane West – has to wait until the game is released Aug. 12, just like the rest of us mere mortals. Spies tell us Snoop Dogg has been calling the games company for weeks trying to get an advance copy, but to no avail.
On the Table
Registering for china and flatware can be daunting for a newly engaged couple – but not for former Bachelorette Meredith Phillips and her intended, Ian McKee. Phillips visited New York City recently to showcase a table of elegant sterling-silver flatware, wineglasses and china custom selected in her honor by interior designer Hildi Santo-Tomas of TV’s Trading Spaces. “The thought of going to register is sometimes overwhelming, but this has given me some good ideas,” Phillips tells us. She and McKee have spent the last few months decorating their apartment in Marina Del Ray, Calif., and she will head to culinary school in September, with an eye on opening an eatery of her own someday. “My restaurant is going to be all about comfort foods,” Phillips says, “a small mom-and-pop place.”
Caught in the Act:
• Colin Farrell and Mark-Paul Gosselaar (NYPD Blue,) at the Fox Racing party at the Downtown L.A. Standard Hotel, as part of the weekend’s X Games festivities. Rappers Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick performed. Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie partied across town at a fete thrown by Maxim magazine.
• Jake Gyllenhaal, checking out the merchandise solo at I Martin Bicycles in L.A.
• David Schwimmer, lunching at L.A. restaurant Les Petite Greek with a male friend.
• James Woods, having dinner at L.A. hot spot Koi.
• Julie Delpy at the Farmer’s Market in Hollywood. Despite the heat, the French star of Before Sunset wore a long-sleeved black jacket, pants and a hat. Our spy says she seemed to be in a hurry and dashed from stand to stand.
• By MARGI BLASH, CAROLINE HOWARD, and MARISA LAUDADIO