Plus: P. Diddy, Mena Suvari and more
Without a Paddle star Matthew Lillard is about to reprise his role as … a dad. “I have a daughter coming in October,” says the actor, 34, who has another girl, Addison, 2, with wife Heather. Any special preparation this time around? “I’m hoping the baby comes and we have furniture,” Lillard tells us. “The first baby, you’re really prepared. The second baby, you really just hope you have furniture.” Next up for Lillard: The thriller Wicker Park with Josh Hartnett, due Sept. 3.
Proud Papa, Part II
In the NBC animated series Father of the Pride (premiering Sept. 6), Andy Richter lends his voice to a panda, but at home, the actor says his focus is on his 3-year-old son, Willy. “The other day, Willy sang a couple of songs, while accompanying himself on the toy accordion, called, ‘Mary Saw a Volcano, and She Ran Away’ and ‘They Gave Us Nuts, and We Cried and Cried and Cried,'” says Richter, 37, whose wife is Strangers with Candy’s Sarah Thyre. “The songs are largely a repeating of the refrain. And he’s allergic to walnuts, so he’s writing what he knows.”
Proud Papa, Part III
Speaking of babies, NYPD Blue’s Mark-Paul Gosselaar has been enjoying life with his 6-month-old son, Michael, and wife Lisa Ann Russell – though it wasn’t always easy. “He kept us really busy in the beginning,” says Gosselaar, 30. “He was a fussy little kid. But now he’s mellowed out. He’s kind of like, ‘Okay, I gave you guys a scare for a second.’ He’s just a cool little kid now.”
Caught in the Act
• Sean "P. Diddy" Combs and girlfriend Kim Porter, partying at Miami hotspot Mansion. Combs, dressed casually in jeans and a shirt from his Sean John clothing line, greeted pals and posed for photos in the club’s VIP area. Later, he sat on the front stage, jumping up to hang out at the DJ booth when his “Shake Ya Tail Feather” was played.
• Mena Suvari, Jules Asner and Law & Order: SVU’s Tamara Tunie, at Bergdorf Goodman for the launch of Estee Lauder’s new Flirt line of cosmetics.
• Billy Bob Thornton, at the upscale Hotel Derek in sweltering Houston. The actor-writer-director stayed in a studio suite, where he was greeted with a fruit basket containing his favorite (papaya) and the collector’s edition of High Noon already loaded in the VCR. Thornton, in Houston working on the Texas football story Friday Night Lights (due in the fall), mingled with fans at the hotel and was genuinely polite to staff and guests alike, spies tell us.
• Alexandra and Vanessa Kerry and Chris Heinz, at a $2,500-per-person fund-raiser for dad John Kerry, at East Hampton eatery Jean-Luc East.
• Choreographer and Jennifer Lopez ex Cris Judd, judging a “best legs” promotional contest in Miami Beach held by Gillette. As for which celebs have the best legs, Judd gave props to Charlize Theron, Ali Landry and Lopez. “When women take care of themselves, they exude this confidence about them,” says Judd, who tells us he is currently unattached. “It’s sexy without being overtly sexy. I think that’s what makes the ideal women. If she proud of herself, not only her legs, but her whole self, she’ll flaunt it.”
• By AMY LONGSDORF, ANNE MARIE CRUZ, ALLI JOSEPH, NICK WHITE and ANDREA BILLUPS