President Trump weighed in on Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway's Oscar flub in a new interview with far-right news outlet Breitbart

By Tierney McAfee
February 27, 2017 05:06 PM
Products in this story are independently selected and featured editorially. If you make a purchase using these links we may earn commission.
Advertisement
donald-trump-2000
Credit: REX/Shutterstock

President Donald Trump previously said he’d be too busy hosting the annual governors’ ball to watch the Oscars on Sunday night — but now it looks like he couldn’t resist tuning in.

On Monday, the president weighed in on Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway’s Best-Picture flub in an Oval Office interview with far-right website Breitbart — former home to controversial chief strategist Steve Bannon — claiming the mixup happened because stars at the awards show were too “focused” on criticizing him.

“I think they were focused so hard on politics that they didn’t get the act together at the end,” Trump said, adding of the mistake, “It was a little sad. It took away from the glamour of the Oscars. It didn’t feel like a very glamorous evening. I’ve been to the Oscars. There was something very special missing, and then to end that way was sad.”

Global accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, in fact, has admitted responsibility for the mistake – saying the wrong envelope was handed to presenters.

RELATED VIDEO: Watch: Natasha Stoynoff Breaks Silence, Accuses Donald Trump of Sexual Attack

The firm said in a statement to PEOPLE: “We sincerely apologize to Moonlight, La La Land, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, and Oscar viewers for the error that was made during the award announcement for Best Picture. The presenters had mistakenly been given the wrong category envelope and when discovered, was immediately corrected. We are currently investigating how this could have happened, and deeply regret that this occurred.”