Clinton got more followers, but Trump dominated the conversation

placeholder
By
October 10, 2016 06:26 PM

It’s only fitting that in Donald Trump‘s second presidential debate, a record was broken on his favorite social media platform: Twitter.

Sunday night’s debate was the most tweeted-about in history, with Twitter users sending 17 million tweets related to the forum throughout its 90-minute duration, according to data released by the social media platform.

The top-tweeted moment of the highly tweeted debate? Trump saying he disagrees with running mate Mike Pence on Syria. Other buzzed-about remarks included Trump saying he’d put Hillary Clinton in jail if elected and calling himself a “gentleman” when he refused Clinton’s offer to let him answer a question first.

However, the biggest Twitter topic of the evening wasn’t about the debate itself, but rather the recently surfaced 2005 recording of Trump making lewd comments about groping women.

The record-breaking debate wasn’t the only social media winner of the evening: Clinton ended Sunday night with 25,000 more Twitter followers than she had at the start, while Trump gained only 17,000. But Trump dominated the Twitter conversation nonetheless, with 64 percent of debate-related tweets focusing on him, and the other 36 percent on Clinton.

Of course, none of that matters in determining who the debate’s real winner was — as we all know, that was Ken Bone.

You May Like

EDIT POST