'Not My President's Day': Thousands Protest President Trump in Rallies Across U.S.
Many Americans are marking this President’s Day not by celebrating presidents past — but by protesting the current one.
Tens of thousands of people were expected to participate in planned “Not My President’s Day” marches against President Donald Trump on Monday. The official Not My President’s Day protests took place in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago but other rallies of the same name were also reportedly held in Washington D.C., Missouri and Denver.
Organizers told am New York on Monday that some 13,000 people gathered outside Trump International Hotel at Manhattan’s Columbus Circle to protest the president.
Nearly 50,000 people were expected to attend the New York City protest, which started at noon in Columbus Circle. Organizers said they had the support of the NYPD and asked that participants keep the march peaceful.
A Facebook description of the New York event read: “Donald Trump is literally our President, but figuratively, he has attacked every value New Yorkers embody and does not represent our interests. We will be staging a rally at Columbus Circle to protest the un-American policies of the current White House.”
“He governs as if there’s no resistance but there is and on February 20th, we will honor previous presidents by exercising our constitutional right to assemble and peacefully protest everything Donald Trump stands for,” the announcement continued.
Organizers of the Los Angeles event, the first to be planned, are calling for Trump to be impeached due to what they call his “Islamophobic” and “unethical” policies.
A list of their grievances reads:
– He plans to cut federal funding to our state in an attempt to turn us against our immigrant population, funneling money away from important public institutions.
– He wants to use our tax money to build a wall that no one wants.
– He floated introducing a ridiculous 20% import tariff that would be detrimental to California consumers. (We take our avocados seriously here.)
– He threatens us and our neighbors with unethical immigration raids.
– He attacked our Muslim communities in instituting an outrageous and Islamophobic religion ban.
– He approved a pipeline that threatens to destroy sacred lands.
– His administration opposes women’s right to choose and purged the White House website of information pertaining to police brutality and LGBTQ rights.
– His party doesn’t take climate change seriously and undermines our state’s efforts to combat it.
RELATED VIDEO: Watch: Natasha Stoynoff Breaks Silence, Accuses Donald Trump of Sexual Attack
The protests come on the heels of another anti-Trump rally in New York City’s Times Square on Sunday, where attendees — including Mayor Bill de Blasio, Governor Andrew Cuomo and celebrities like Susan Sarandon and Russell Simmons — gathered to speak out against Trump’s now-on-hold executive order banning immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries.
Trump, meanwhile, returned to Washington, D.C. on Monday after holding a campaign-style rally in Melbourne, Florida, on Saturday.
He tweeted Monday morning:
“HAPPY PRESIDENTS DAY – MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”