No, Star Trek Actor George Takei Isn't Really Running for Congress
Takei, 79, has been a vocal opponent of President Donald Trump's administration
Looks like the joke is on us.
Star Trek star George Takei told The Daily Buzz he plans on running for Congress in 2018 and has specifically targeted California’s 22nd District so he can take on Republican Devin Nunes. However, it now turns out that it was all just a joke.
Takei told the site that he wanted to take a bigger stand in politics. “With what is going on now in the country, I couldn’t stand by any longer merely as a citizen,” Takei said. “I knew I had to take a bigger stand. So that’s why I’m running for Congress. My hope is to challenge Devin Nunes for his seat in 2018.”
He added, “I think Nunes is vulnerable. And I plan to prove that. People are tired of his a—kissing of Trump. Can I say that? I think I can. These days you can say pretty much anything and not get in trouble.”
Takei, 79, expressed his wish to be “a champion for all people” adding, “We need to build a majority again in Congress, too, to be a check against the Trump Administration’s excesses, assuming he’s even around by then to keep making horrific mistakes.”
The Star Trek actor had already picked up celebrity endorsements from the likes of The Avengers star Mark Ruffalo and Sophia Bush before revealing the prank.
“@GeorgeTakei I hope you can count me as one of your early endorsers!! This is great news!” Ruffalo, 49, tweeted.
However, it all turned out to be a big April Fool’s Day joke.
“No, I’m not running for Congress,” he tweeted on Saturday morning. “Happy 4/1!
“But Jon Ossoff is on 4/18. Help him win at http://electjon.com,” he continued. “Let’s flip Congress in ’18.”