October 29, 2014 04:55 PM

Talk about meta!

A Miami vet, tending to a sick tortoise, made an ironic discovery after an X-ray revealed that the pet had swallowed a small turtle pendant, ABC News reports.

Dr. Don Harris, co-owner of Avian & Exotic Animal Medical Center, was not sure what was wrong with Lola, a 15-lb. African spurred tortoise. The pet, who is actually a male, had been brought in by his owner after falling ill over the weekend. The turtle’s owner said he hadn’t passed food for a month, according to the Associated Press, which first reported the story.

Harris’s examination turned up little, but an X-ray soon found the culprit: a small turtle pendant that Lola had accidentally swallowed. Tortoises usually graze on grass, plants and veggies but also have a fondness for hard objects, sometimes consuming rocks.

Hopefully, surgery won’t be needed. The vet said he will keep Lola at his clinic, watching him to make sure he passes the ingested jewelry naturally.

Want more stories like this?

Sign up for our newsletter and other special offers:

sign me up

Thank you for signing up!

You May Like

EDIT POST