Tracy Morgan's Fish Don't Get Fried

The 30 Rock actor thanks the NYPD for saving his fish after a fire breaks out in his apartment.

“Just keep swimming” never meant more than it did to Tracy Morgan’s exotic pet fish, who narrowly escaped a fire that broke out in the actor’s apartment Tuesday morning. Reportedly caused by a faulty light over Morgan’s fish tank, the fire was contained within a half hour. Though no injuries were reported, the extensive smoke caused sprinklers to go off on several floors of Morgan’s building, causing water damage to several units, including that of neighbor (and The View co-host) Sherri Shepherd. Morgan released a statement Wednesday evening, saying,

“A fire broke out in my Manhattan apartment this morning, apparently starting with a lamp attached to my fish tank. The sprinklers promptly activated and the NYFD came by to make sure it was contained. Fortunately, the fire did not spread and no one in the building was injured – even the fish are okay. My thanks to the New York Fire Department for their quick action.”

We’re glad his fish will live to swim another day!

Related Articles